Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
MP3
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Pete

SQL CPU Usage Maxed out

Post by MP3 »

In testing VEEAM on a VM with a 1.5Ghz processor and 512MB Ram. The combination of VEEAM and SQL are using 100% of the CPU thus making the use of the program ineffective. Even when adjusting the CPU to as high as 3Ghz, it is consistently using 100% of the CPU.

Has anyone else had or seen this problem? If so, what changes did you make to avoid such high CPU usage?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: VEEAM CPU Usage Maxed out

Post by Gostev »

What process causes this load according to Windows Task Manager on that VM?
MP3
Service Provider
Full Name: Pete

Post by MP3 »

The primary usage is coming from sqlsrvr.exe. It runs at 85-95% with Veeam occasionally pulling 5-8% and maxing out the CPU. Is there a setting within VEEAM that would cause this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Changing scalability mode to "Advanced" should reduce frequency and amount of data gathered by Veeam Monitor and stored in SQL, so this should help with SQL server load. Overall, real-time monitoring of decently sized environments in "typical" scalability mode does result in large amounts of performance data that needs to be processed, so if your SQL is running inside of the VM, high load is expected.

We have also made numerous optimizations in upcoming Monitor 4.0, so that should help to reduce load as well.
tomrowan
Novice
Full Name: Tom Rowan

Post by tomrowan »

I have exactly the same issue with the SQL server executable --> and I've got Monitor v4.0.
I am running in typical mode.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We are working on one experimental mod to reduce CPU load on SQL server, if anyone having this problem is interested in beta testing please PM me.
tomrowan
Novice
Full Name: Tom Rowan

Post by tomrowan »

PM Sent
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Beta build is now available. It should significantly lower SQL CPU usage, and also increase performance data refresh frequency significantly for large environments (100+ ESX hosts). If anyone is interested in beta test, please PM me. Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: SQL CPU Usage Maxed out

Post by Gostev »

Just a little update. The beta build was tested by a couple of volunteer beta testers from our community (thanks again) and both confirmed that SQL server usage is barely noticeable now. We will be releasing this and a few other fixes as a part of maintenance release around the end of July, after we complete the testing (fix will require some database data updates, so upgrade procedure will require some heavy testing). Thanks.