Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jamie Pert

Restore Points are fine when backups finish with warnings!

Post by Jamie Pert »

Hi guys, this should be a sticky in my opinion. So like this post if you agree.

If any of your jobs finish with "Warning" you should investigate the warning, but you can rest assured that the backup created is OK.

I thought that the warning could mean that when it comes to restoring a backup there may be issues - but no, the backup job is 100% OK.

Obviously different warnings can mean different things, for example I was having VSS Writer problems - but as my backups run every 24 hours the VSS Writer has plenty of time to "fix" itself before its next run.

Source:
Jamie,

Mmm... it was a problem you would get "failed" status instead of "warning". We are not allowed pushing "success" if some steps didn't complete successfully even if they do not cause problem with backups. It is simply irresponsive behavior.
As i mentioned there are situation that incorrect unfreeze may cause further session to be failed if they are running in a row. Running out of space, hot-add isn't supported, cannot use CBT due to snapshot and other warning messages are supposed to be shown to warn you about some not-critical sitiations wich you may need to pay attention to. If it is OK for you you may ignore them.

Thanks,
Eugene Romanyuk
Veeam Support
@jam1epert on Twitter
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Restore Points are fine when backups finish with warning

Post by Gostev »

Here is our concept for job statuses:

Success > backup created
Warning > backup created, but you MUST investigate the issue
Error > backup not created

I don't see this changing, however we've been constantly revising statuses for certain named events. I remember at least a few event that were changed from warning to informational events based on the feedback just in 6.1 alone.

Let's work together and discuss what changes make sense for most users.
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jamie Pert

Re: Restore Points are fine when backups finish with warning

Post by Jamie Pert »

Up until a few hours ago I thought the warnings were far more worrying than they actually are. I thought that if a VSS writer issue occurred and resulted in a warning state my restore point created by the backup was screwed...
@jam1epert on Twitter