Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mlinders
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Mark Linders

Feature requests - Veeam B&R 6.1

Post by mlinders »

1) Clear job history from GUI and retain last X records
Seen several times that the database gets so full of history records, that opening Veeam B&R 6.1 gives a timeout on getting a job statisic. Even seen it once when opening Veeam without doing anything in the console yet, it just wouldn't start. Fixed it this time by running a powershell: "Get-VBRBackupSession | Remove-VBRBackupSession" I would like to be able to remove the history except for let's say the last 100 records.

Regards,

Mark Linders
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Re: Feature requests - Veeam B&R 6.1

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mark,

1. There is the topic about this exactly right next to yours... not sure how you have missed ;)
2. This is possible today, see page 210 of the User Guide.

Please, next time, consider creating a separate topic for each feature request (having searched the forum for existing discussion first). Discussions in topics with multiple valid feature requests quickly become a mess. Also, even if you miss the existing topic, this approach makes it easier for us to merge your post into the existing discussion about the same feature.

Thanks!
mlinders
Veeam ProPartner

Post by mlinders »

Hi Gostev,

Removed the mail question, shouldnt have missed it in the forums. Since it's like next to it.
I checked page 210 of the user guide, but it wasnt there. Are you sure that is the right page?
In v6 user guide page 210 is about failback destinations.

I know you can clear up all records older then a month. But where is it possible to only keep x number of records. I havent seen that anywhere in the GUI.
Besides that, when i set it to 1 month and click apply, the next time i check the setting it reverted back to 12 months.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mark,

I believe Anton was referring to page 220, which describes how to specify session history settings. My Veeam B&R installation does not revert back to 12 months when I change session history retention to 1 month.

Could you please tell me if it reverts back no matter what value you specify there?

Thanks!
mlinders
Veeam ProPartner

Post by mlinders »

Hi Vitaly,

It seems the history retention is reverted back due to Enterprise Manager. It works one way. If I set it in GUI it gets the 12 months back from Enterprise Manager.
If I set it in Enterprise Manager it takes whatever I set there. This might be "By design".

Edit: I'll have to do some additional testing to be able to reproduce it. I'll work on that and update you accordingly. Since the reverting back is not instant. But the following day the setting reverted back. I'll have to pinpoint what triggers the reverting to the 12 month setting.

Edit2:The setting reverts back to the setting specified in Enterprise Manager in about 2 minuts.

So my feature request remains to set the retention to a numeric value instead of a date span.
We have several continuous replication jobs running and they take about 3 minutes to complete.

Simple math: 4 seperate replication jobs running, every 3 minutes to do a full run. Thats 20 runs every hour, generating 80 records in the database per hour.
That is 1920 records every day. In the client environment we noticed a big detariation in performance when hitting about 50.000 records. It broke at 56.000.
Based on the one month setting we generate about 60.000 records every month. This means I have to manually clean out the history or Veeam every 15 to 20 days.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I am not sure what setting you are talking about. I am talking about the one that limits the number of sessions to display in UI. This settings is not controlled by the Enterprise Manager.

I am sorry about providing the wrong page - apparently, the User Guide I had on my desktop at home was from version 6.0, and not the latest 6.1...
mlinders
Veeam ProPartner

Post by mlinders »

It's not about displaying the number of sessions, its about the history in the database. When the session history reaches 50.000+ we are having problems with the GUI. Timeouts, unresponsiveness, etc. Only displaying 200 sessions doesn't change this issue. The entire history is probably still loaded on veeam startup. The setting I'm talking about is the.history retention, that is.both in the GUI as in enterprise manager. There is no lower setting then 1 month.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

mlinders wrote:Only displaying 200 sessions doesn't change this issue. The entire history is probably still loaded on veeam startup.
This is strange, and should not be happening. The setting I am talking about should specifically prevent all those events from loading. Please open a support case for troubleshooting - in case there is some bug with this functionality, it should be fixed. May be the new GUI does not leverage this setting, or something?
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Within the Restore Wizard and specifically VM Hard Disks option.

Would be informative to display in the Disk Mapping if the Virtual Device Nodes selected would overwrite an already existing disk.
Not having to go into the Change dialog to find this out.

(Yes, hand up, I did overwrite an existing disk while performing a restore of hard disks to an alternate VM.)

Further, the info dialog that appears prior to Disk Mapping to say the target VM will be powered down is not really the active window when it appears. Or at least part of the parent window. I sat for 1 hour waiting as the dialog showing Loading Backup and VM settings kept spinning as if still actively doing something, but the dialog had appeared underneath. (at least this was the result as I had switched out of Remote Desktop and back in again only to see the Loading Backup and VM settings still sitting spinning when in actual fact it had completed but was hiding behind it)

Hope you understand what I experienced.

I can post a image if it helps.
roelvdw
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Vandewalle Roel

Post by roelvdw »

Nice feature I would appreciate are :

- U-AIR SharePoint(SharePoint Services & SharePoint Server) from version 3.0 to 2010-2013.
The same to restore individual items like SQL , AD, Exchange.
- vPower for Hyper like VmWare :
- SureBackup Job ; Virtual Lab and Application Groups
- Item restore for Hyper-v Applications (AD,SQL,Exchange and SharePoint).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Roel, thank you for the feedback. Please note that in the upcoming v6.5 we are already adding Veeam Explorer for Exchange, which provides instant item-level recovery from Exchange VM backups for both VMware and Hyper-V.