Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
idagenais
Lurker
Liked: never

Setting up Veeam Backup and Replication on Iomega

Post by idagenais »

Moving from a traditional tape backup system of our vsphere 5 host to veeam's disk based. Trying understand it all.

- Have setup Iomega px6-300d with iscsi
- vsphere host has vm's stored on local disk
- Installed Veeam on VM on host
- Am going to add iomega iscsi storage to vm and then add disk to vm for depository of backups
- Create single backup job to backup all vm's (3 in total) to backup store
- Am looking for a 3 times daily CBT backup for low loss recovery

Does that make sense? Any suggestions or corrections

I also have another Iomega px6 at a remote site across the country that I would like to replicate the backup once a week to in case of physical disaster. It is a slower link, so I believe Veeam allows me to create the replica locally..copy to usb..then add to storage locally at DR and then replicate changes...am I correct?

I am just confused on how I do both the local backups and the replication...Any clarification or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Setting up Veeam Backup and Replication on Iomega

Post by foggy »

Hello!

Your setup makes perfect sense. Regarding your second question, there are basically two approaches to having both local and remote backups. The one is to set up separate jobs for two different target locations, and in this case you can use Veeam backup seeding functionality to seed the backup files and replicate subsequent changes. The other is to use third-party software, there are plenty of existing topics on this, please use search to find them: http://forums.veeam.com/search.php?st=0 ... te+example. The couple of the most recent ones are: Best backup setup for mirroring backup respository and v6 - How to have a local and off-site backup copy?).

Thanks.
idagenais
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Setting up Veeam Backup and Replication on Iomega

Post by idagenais »

Thanks I will check the links out!