Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
johnlockie
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Adding or Removing Hosts for vCenter

Post by johnlockie »

I am running 6.1, which was upgraded from 6.0 recently. I also underwent a vSphere 4 to vSphere 5 upgrade in the past 6 weeks.

Under "Infrastructure" I have added a vCenter Server that has 7 hosts in it.

For some reason, it has picked up a bad host in there and I am trying to figure out how to clean that out. I rescanned, with no luck.

I have no idea when it showed up. I only just found it now while trying to troubleshoot "object not found" errors on a backup.
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Re: Adding or Removing Hosts for vCenter

Post by johnlockie »

....I did rename a resource pool that this VM was in, so that could be the cause.

I "refreshed" the screen where you add VMs to the job, and the pool had the new name. I have re-added the VM and tonight will see if it runs....

As far as the host (it's one host in there 2x, in infrastructure view)...I am still perplexed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2718 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John,

It's not 100% clear what you mean by saying "it has picked up a bad host", could you please elaborate it further?

Thanks!
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

Sure. I have 7 hosts in there, and they are listed with FQDN like this:

1. host1.mycompany.local
2. host2.mycompany.local

and so on.

Then I have one of the hosts listed AGAIN, but as the IP address. So my list of 8 servers looks like:

1. host1.mycompany.local
2. host2.mycompany.local
3. host3.mycompany.local
4. host4.mycompany.local
5. host5.mycompany.local
6. host6.mycompany.local
7. host7.mycompany.local
8. 172.16.1.101 (this is the IP for host1.mycompany.local)

I would like to get rid of #8. I am not even sure how that got in there.... :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Do you mean it is listed under the same vCenter along with other hosts? Or is it just another node (on the same level as your vCenter server, if you select Virtual Machines tab, or under Standalone Hosts node, if you select Infrastructure tab)? In the latter case you can just right-click it and select the Remove command.
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

BTW: refreshing the vCenter side (where the resource pool picked up the new name) fixed the issue with the backup I was having. It ran last night, woot!
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

foggy wrote:Do you mean it is listed under the same vCenter along with other hosts? Or is it just another node (on the same level as your vCenter server, if you select Virtual Machines tab, or under Standalone Hosts node, if you select Infrastructure tab)? In the latter case you can just right-click it and select the Remove command.
It's under vCenter.

I go to Infrastructure > Managed Servers > VMware vSphere > vCenter Servers > myvCenter.mycompany.local > (server list)

I have also rescanned with no luck (not sure I mentioned this already, but I did try it again just now)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Just to be sure, I guess you do not have this host added twice under your vCenter in vSphere Client?

Probably it's better contact our technical support with this, they should be able to assist you in editing Veeam B&R configuration database to get rid of this host. Maybe manipulations like adding this host as standalone in the previous version and subsequent upgrade could result in this issue.
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

Sounds good. I will open a ticket then. I may have added it as a stand-alone a few weeks ago during initial deployment and issues we had backing up vCenter. I don't remember the exact host.

And no, we do not have the host added twice in vCenter.
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

Ticket opened: 5206263

It's low priority, but I would like to fix. And actually, I would not mind removing a couple other hosts too....the that run our View environment (we maintain 2 clusters), because we are not backing up View desktops with Veeam. And we only licensed our site for the cluster running our servers. :)
eneville
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by eneville »

was this issue fixed? i have the same issue with old host not being removed from veeam.
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

Yeah, thanks for bumping this. I forgot to update.

I opened a ticket with support. We ended up removing some records from the DB manually. I recommend using the support team to help w/ this even though deleting the row was easy enough.

Make sure you are ready to run a backup of the DB also, or take one before calling.