Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
felyjos
Veteran
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dominique DUCHEMIN

Alerts sent not refering to a group member?

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

I created a group "xxxx - Team 1" mixed of physical and virtual servers and the list appears to be correct when running "View Members".
The subscription is on the criteria "Notify on all alerts raised by any instance in a xxxx - Team 1 group" .
The alerts sent are for all physicale servers from the group which looks great but the alerts are also for all VMs part ot not of the Group !!!!
Any Class within a group which might be created this?

Thanks,
DOm
vBPav
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Pavnick

Re: Alerts sent not refering to a group member?

Post by vBPav »

Dom,

Would any of those physical servers include ESX Hosts? When notifications does a recursive query against that group, it will include all VMs part of those ESX Hosts. You will want to scope the notification by Class to only bring in alerts for the physical ESX Hosts.

Does this help?

Or, when you say, "physical" are you saying non-virtualized servers? Are you looking to only group Virtual Machines and non-virtualizaed Servers into a group?
Brian Pavnick | Cireson| Solutions Architect

- Follow me on Twitter @ vbpav
- Reach me on e-mail @ brian.pavnick@cireson.com
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hi Brian,

Definetely this helps as there are a lot of ESX servers. BUT these ESX Servers listed in Physical Servers or added explicitely are hosting only VMs already listed as virtual servers in this same group. I have in the same group the ESX (Physicals) for Department A and the VMs(Virtuals) for Department A they have been added to a Main Group as Explicit Member and also for the OS Class added through two Subgroups Physicals and Virtuals.

i could check several VMs sending alerts to see if they are on these ESX but I doubt... I have for sure the nWorks Collectors which are not part of this group which are sending alerts ....

the vCenter is unique meaning all VMs refered to the same vCenter. They also through nWorks refer to common Collectors.

Thanks,
Dom
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi Dom,

Did you solve this scenario? If you are still getting alerts from objects NOT in the group, let me know.

Thanks!
Alec
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hi ALec,

I have the same issue for weeks now...
Alerts are sent for batch of servers not member of the group...

THanks,
Dom
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

Hmmm, OK.

Which exact objects are members of your custom group?
Agent (Health Service), Windows Server, ESX Host, other...?

And do you have an example of the Alert(s) that cause notifications for objects not in the group?

I wonder if the notification is finding nworks Collector server; and then including all objects that are Managed by that Collector. That could include other Hosts and other VMs....
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hello Alec,

The criteria are:
( ( Object is Windows Computer AND ( NetBIOS Computer Name Matches wildcard (BOPCC*|BOPCX*|BODCC*|BODCX*|SOPCC*|SOPCX*|SODCC*|SODCX*|BRPCC*|BRPCX*|BRDCC*|BRDCX*|SRPCC*|SRPCX*|SRDCC*|SRDCX*) ) AND True ) OR ( Object is Unix Computer AND ( DNS Name Matches wildcard (BOPCC*|BOPCX*|BODCC*|BODCX*|SOPCC*|SOPCX*|SODCC*|SODCX*|BRPCC*|BRPCX*|BRDCC*|BRDCX*|SRPCC*|SRPCX*|SRDCC*|SRDCX*) ) AND True ) )

B: Blade Servers; S Stand Alone Servers;

AND

( ( Object is Windows Computer AND ( NetBIOS Computer Name Matches wildcard (VODCC*|VODCX*|VOPCC*|VOPCX*|VRDCC*|VRDCX*|VRPCC*|VRPCX*) ) AND True ) OR ( Object is Unix Computer AND ( DNS Name Matches wildcard (VODCC*|VODCX*|VOPCC*|VOPCX*|VRPCC*|VOPCX*) ) AND True ) )

V Virtual Server

The Alerts are:
Alert: File group is running out of space

Resolution state: New

Source: PRIMARY
Path: SOPEPSISQL1.ad;MSSQLSERVER;SIBaseline_SYSTEM
Last modified by: System
Last modified time: 7/15/2012 7:57:41 PM Alert description: The file group "PRIMARY" for the database "SIBaseline_SYSTEM" in SQL instance "MSSQLSERVER" on computer "SOPEPSISQL1.ad" is running out of space. See knowledge section for more details.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alert: UCLA - I/O is frozen on database - SQL 2005

Resolution state: New

Source: ESM5_0
Path: vomorsur1.ad;MSSQLSERVER
Last modified by: System
Last modified time: 7/16/2012 11:19:09 AM Alert description: Event Description: I/O is frozen on database - SQL 2005
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The collectors are:
VOSVEAOM1
VOPVEAOMGR1
VRPVEAOMGR1

Thanks,
DOm
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

Hi Dom,

I still have not been able to repro this....everything looks correct in your group membership. From what I see, computer SOPEPSISQL1 should NOT be a member of the group. Very strange that you get alerts from the SQL MP from this machine.
Just to confirm, your group criteria does include ESX servers -BUT this SOPEPSISQL1 server is not a VM on one of those ESX?
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hi Alec,

Yes the group contains ESX servers.
Yes SOPEPSISQL1 is a physical server not a VM
A lot of alerts about 25% are not coming from the proper servers it is very annoying!!!

Thanks,
Dom
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

I isolated the alert by using a specific channel and it is still sending tons of emails from server not within the group...

Any idea?
Thanks,
DOm
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi DOm,

Sorry for asking so many questions, we are trying to reproduce the issue and your help would be highly appreciated.

In order to narrow down the possible root causes, could you let us know if all wrong alerts are being generated only by SQL MP?

Thanks in advance.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hi Sergey,
No from other MPs as well..
Alert: Available Megabytes of Memory is too low
Alert: Percentage of Committed Memory in Use is too high
Alert: Failed to perform Web Site discovery
etc...
I noticed with the help of BP the list in "view group state" is the source of the issue.... I have a Group including two sub-groups. The 2 subgroups are correct for "view group members" and "view group state", the parent is correct for "view group members" but incorrect for "view group state" where a lot of servers are listed not part of the group!!!

Thanks,
Dom
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

I'm glad you were able to narrow down possible causes of the issue.

We still cannot reproduce the same behavior in our labs. Since you are receiving alerts from physical stand-alone servers, this could not be any migration of child VM alerts into the group with included vCenter or ESX host. Do you see these physical servers when you are doing "view group state" for the parent group?

Looks like some weird SCOM issue to me. Is it possible to re-create the same hierarchy of groups with the same rules for 2 subgroups? Does it produce the same false results for "view group state"?

I would also recommend to clear SCOM console cache in registry before re-creating your structure of groups. You can do this by deleting "HKCR\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Operation Manager\3.0\Console" registry key while SCOM Console is closed.

Thanks.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

"Do you see these physical servers when you are doing "view group state" for the parent group?"
YES both expected and non-expected servers are in the "view group state" of the parent.

Is it possible to re-create the same hierarchy of groups with the same rules for 2 subgroups?
Yes let me try it.

Does it produce the same false results for "view group state"?
in progress!!!!

When you say SCOM Console closed do you mean all SCOM Consoles? I have about 20 of them.... on a 24/7 environment this is something which has impact...

Thanks
Dom
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

Only on the server where you are doing troubleshooting with re-creating groups, if there are several sessions from the same user on this server I would close SCOM Console in all these sessions. If other 20 consoles are opened on another machines or under different user accounts - you do not need to close them.

Thanks.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

recreating the Parent Group with the same subgroups seems working as I have only 5,096 members in the "View Group State" versus the 7,141 I had before!! and it is really close to sum of the "View Group State" cumulative of both subgroups 5,094...
No explanation but it works !!!

Thanks,
Dom
vBPav
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Pavnick

Post by vBPav »

Interesting, keep us posted on how things continue to plan out for you.

Thanks!
Brian Pavnick | Cireson| Solutions Architect

- Follow me on Twitter @ vbpav
- Reach me on e-mail @ brian.pavnick@cireson.com
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

recreating the parent group resolved the issue.

Thanks Brian

DOm