Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jfmccue
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim McCue

Veeam backup to Drobo iscsi target, backup to tape?

Post by jfmccue »

I'm backing up with Veeam 6.1 to a Drobo iscsi target. This Veeam server is a virtual windows 2008 server running on a vmware 4.1 host pointing to a iscsi guest attached volume on a Drobo b1200i. I want to also back up my veeam windows volume to tape, using a physical Backup Exec 2010 server with an attached tape drive.

What's the best way to give that physical windows 2003 B/E server access to the iscsi volume? I'm not too excited about loading backup exec remote agent on my veeam server. Is there a good way to give a windows 2008 and windows 2003 server access to the same iscsi volume?

Thanks!

-Jim
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Veeam backup to Drobo iscsi target, backup to tape?

Post by dellock6 »

Since you already have a physical windows server for Symantec, another way could be to connect Drobo iscsi target to this server, install only the Veeam repository role in this server, and let Veeam send its backup there. Once they are finished, Symantec can offload the created files to tape.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
jfmccue
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim McCue

Post by jfmccue »

Good idea, thanks Luca! I'll give that a shot, that sounds like a good plan.

I guess the one downside is the Surebackup type jobs are running off a different repository from the Veeam server?
Think that matters much in performance (i.e. the storage is being accessed via the LAN vs. the SAN)?

-Jim
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Veeam server is not involved in SureBackup. Backup repository itself implements NFS server that is in turn mounted directly to ESXi host, while all Veeam server does is orchestrates the whole process.