Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dreic
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Damir Reic

When veeam is on VM on host which faced disaster

Post by dreic »

Probably it's not even good idea in 1st place to have a veeam installed on VM that is on the host you are protecting with it, but lets say i do this and i attach iSCSI to that Windows VM where Veeam is and backups are stored on the iSCSI partition. In case of host disaster i loose veeam installation. Now i get the new server, install ESXi, install veeam add iSCSI partition to it and is it possible to import backup to veeam and restore all VMs to new ESXi host?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: When veeam is on VM on host which faced disaster

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, absolutely. Just import your backup files to the new backup console and then perform a full restore of your production VMs.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

You can also add an additional protection layer by replicating Veeam server itself towards another datastore in another ESXi server, using a replication job.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
dreic
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Damir Reic

Post by dreic »

So if i restore all production VMs, including the one on which is Veeam installed, i can continue using veeam for backups from that old VM correct?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

dreic wrote:Probably it's not even good idea in 1st place to have a veeam installed on VM that is on the host you are protecting with it, but lets say i do this and i attach iSCSI to that Windows VM where Veeam is and backups are stored on the iSCSI partition. In case of host disaster i loose veeam installation. Now i get the new server, install ESXi, install veeam add iSCSI partition to it and is it possible to import backup to veeam and restore all VMs to new ESXi host?
I am considering this situation as well. I currently run Veeam in a VM and use Virtual appliance mode to backup my VMs. I am in the process of moving to a virtual SQL server as well which really brought this issue to my attention. I know I can just rebuild the Veeam server but this is my plan to streamline DR.

I am going to install Veeam on the physical server that is attached to my Tape drive (still have a few physical servers going to tape) and move the Veeam SQL database to the same server. Then add the physical server to the iSCSI network so I have access to my backup files on secondary SAN. I am going to continue to use my original Veeam VM as a Hot Add proxy so my backups should run exactly the same.

I think this is a pretty good solution to the Veeam VM concerns. What do you guys think?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Sounds like a good plan to me!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I would personally switch the design: physical Veeam proxy and repository, and virtual Veeam central server. The first two roles can be destroyed and rebuild at any time without loosing data (apart having backup files in a safe place) or having to save them, and the Veeam server is easier to backup or replicate if it's a virtual machine rather than physical. IMHO obviously...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1