Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jvdpol
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joris van de Pol

Synthetic fulls on weekly backup

Post by jvdpol »

I've got a weekly incremental job with one vm running. The job fires at saturday night and the synthetic full is also scheduled at saturday.
The first backup was a full backup and the next an incremental, so that works fine. But when i look at my backup files there are two full backup files (vkb) and no vib files. So it looks like the second incremental file is transformed into a full synthetic and the incremental is deleted.
Am i missing something or is this by design?

Job setup:
- One vm
- Job is scheduled at saturday night 3.00
- Synthetic full is also scheduled at saturday (transformation of previous backup is OFF)
- 14 restore points to keep on disk
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Synthetic fulls on weekly backup

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R user guide, p.27:
For example, if you select to perform daily forward incremental backups with synthetic fulls scheduled on Thursday, Veeam Backup & Replication will perform incremental backup Sunday through Wednesday as usual. On Thursday, however, it will first create an increment and then, at the end of the backup job, use the previous full backup (created on Sunday) and a chain of increments (Monday through Wednesday) to build a new full VM backup (synthetic full). After that, Veeam Backup & Replication will delete the increment created on Thursday.
According to your schedule, the job runs only once a week and synthetic full is scheduled for the same day. With these settings you will have full backups only in your backup folder.
jvdpol
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joris van de Pol

Re: Synthetic fulls on weekly backup

Post by jvdpol »

Thanks for that! looks like I missed it in the manual.