Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Magz
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Magne Stenwig

FailoverCluster event 5121

Post by Magz »

Hi,

I have recently installed veeam backup and replication and it appears to work very well. All the backupjobs finishes successfully.

What worries me is that I get a lot of error messages in the Windows System Log on all of my Hyper-V hosts:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering
Event ID: 5121
Task Category: Cluster Shared Volume
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: xxxxxxx
Description:
Cluster Shared Volume 'Volume2' ('Cluster Disk 2') is no longer directly accessible from this cluster node. I/O access will be redirected to the storage device over the network through the node that owns the volume. This may result in degraded performance. If redirected access is turned on for this volume, please turn it off. If redirected access is turned off, please troubleshoot this node's connectivity to the storage device and I/O will resume to a healthy state once connectivity to the storage device is reestablished.

We have two Hyper-V 2008 R2 clusters connected to a HP EVA 8000 SAN With redundant fiberchannel. I use HP EVA VSS Hardware providers and a Veeam Proxyserver. The error-messages appear on all the hosts in both clusters.

Do anyone know if these faults are to be expected, or if anything is configured wrong?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: FailoverCluster event 5121

Post by foggy »

This kind of events are standard for CSV backup, as the volume is switched to redirected mode to allow snapshot to be taken - this is just how Hyper-V and CSV works. In case of hardware VSS provider, cluster is switched back to direct I/O mode as soon as the snapshot is taken. With software VSS, it stays this way for the duration of backup. In any case, you can ignore such events.
Magz
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Magne Stenwig

Re: FailoverCluster event 5121

Post by Magz »

That is great.

Thank you for your reply foggy.