Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
gwtharg
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Graham Walmsley

Alarm email settings

Post by gwtharg »

Sorry I know this is a lame question but I cannot send an email from Veeam Monitor.
It keeps telling me it cannot authenticate to server but I can map a drive as the authenticating user.

I use the same mail server to send linux emails from scripts.

Please point me to a way to do this.

Cheers
GW
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Alarm email settings

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Graham,

What version of Monitor are you using? Is it Veeam ONE v6? Could you please tell me if you're able to send a test email to any free email address?

If all configuration settings look correct, then I would suggest looking through Monitor debug logs. Please contact our support team with assistance with this task.

Thanks!
gwtharg
Novice

Post by gwtharg »

It is Veeam Monitor 5.0.0.261

The error is unable to authenticate

It looks like a an authentication error but I can map a drive to the server so I am guessing the Windows 2008R2 server Veeam is on is not communicating to the mail server correctly. I have disabled the firewall to rule it out but I am still seeing the error.

08/22/12 06:24:07 Inform 0x0BC8 alarms "Send email: recepients = myname@myaddress.co.uk;, Sender mail/name = Veeam_Monitor@myaddress.com, Server = myserver.fqdn:25, Use Auth = 0, Login = , Subject = [Veeam Monitor] Alarm - Guest disk space"

08/22/12 06:24:07 Error 0x0BC8 alarms "Failed to send test email message.
Error description: Failure sending mail.Unable to connect to the remote server"
gwtharg
Novice

Post by gwtharg »

Thanks for checking the monitor log proved I was being blocked.

A deeper look this morning pointed me to our AV software (Mcafee using Endpoint) which by default is blocking port 25.

Nothing wrong with the Veeam but thanks for the help it helped me prove the issue.

Cheers
GW
Tim52
Lurker
Full Name: Tim Stidston

[MERGED] Notifications Email Connection Failure

Post by Tim52 »

Hello!

So I'm having a problem with my Veeam One Server Notification Alerts.
I originally had my Veeam One Server installed on my backup server and had notifications working beautifully, but then per Veeams advice I moved Veeam one to an independent server and now everything is working *except* notification emails.
I put in the Exchange server and attempt to send a test email and it returns 'Failed to send email message. Error Description: Feailure sending mail. Unable to connect to the remote server'.
It should be able to connect just fine though. I am able to ping the Exchange server from the new Veeam One server.
The server IP is also in the same subnet as the backup server, joined to the same domain.
So I can't see why it would work on one but then not the other?

Regards,
Tim.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Tim and welcome to the community!
If ping works, but email cannot be sent, you need to check if SMTP port is enabled by firewall settings.
If it`s enabled, try sending an email with outlook or any other email agent from that server through the same SMTP.
Thanks!
Tim52
Lurker
Full Name: Tim Stidston

Post by Tim52 »

Thanks for this merge Shestakov. I read the posts above and got to my issue straight away. It was also an issue with McAfee blocking port 25. Appreciate the swift response! :)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

I`m glad that helped.
Once you have a question, don`t hesitate asking!