Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevenfoo
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Steven Foo

Restore VM Log Files

Post by stevenfoo »

I have setup another ESX/ESXi 3.5 server and have it to run as internal DR server (not HOT DR).

I tried to restore the VM. The speed of the restore is about 8MB/s.
Is this normal ? We are running over a 1GB LAN.

To restore a full 178GB image it will take around 6hrs to completed. Where as the backup took 1hr only.
This is about 5 times slower to restore.

Where could I look for the restore session log ? I don't fine it anyway ?

We need this to show the Auditor that restore have taken place and it is working.

Thanks
Steven
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore VM Log Files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Steven,

Can you tell us where are you trying to restore? Probably to ESXi host? If this is the case, so due to the protocol we are forced to use (as well as no COS presented at ESXi) while a restore process, it takes so much time to restore. Restoring to ESX host will take less time than restore to ESXi.
As for the logs, you can find the information about the restore process at Help->Support Information->veeamshell.log
stevenfoo
Expert

Post by stevenfoo »

Yes we are restoring to ESXi host. However it still does not make sense to have the restore take so long if we running on 1GB network.

Is it possible to move the restore log from the veeamshell.log to the session part ?

It's look messy inside the veeamshell.log.

Thanks
Steven
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Steven, yes this is expected speed - you can find more information about ESXi upload in this thread: Expected speed for FastSCP 3.0
If you have choice, I recommend that you use ESX over ESXi for faster backups and restores.

Right now, Session History does not represent restores, but we may be adding this capability in future versions if there are multiple requests for this functionality.
stevenfoo
Expert

Post by stevenfoo »

Gostev,

Thanks for the reply on ESX speed over ESXi.
However it is had to accept that ESXi is so slow and hard to really explain to the management why it is so slow to restore.
The backup part can be accepted but not the restore part. 6hrs is just too long. 3.5 hrs is ideal acceptable value.

Please add the session history for restore as it is a audit requirement that we need to produce to auditor.
As convention product like BExec, HP DP, they have all backup, restore, etc recorded down for audit purpose.

Regards
Steven