Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
elwappo
Enthusiast
Liked: never

[Domino, SQL] Question on VM tools quiescence and snapshots

Post by elwappo »

I read this in the manual and need a little help understanding it:

The Enable VMware tools quiescence option is selected by default. It is recommended to use it unless you are backing up VMs with highly transactional applications (such as Exchange and SQL) — in this case, there is a risk of the application process failure.

My questions are:

1. What setting should I use here for VM's that are running Domino? (IBM/Lotus)
2. And if I have a server running SQL is it still safe to run a hot backup, just make sure I turn off this option?

I'm a little confused on this:

in this case, there is a risk of the application process failure.

Is this referring to the target or source? IE if I don't turn this off and I'm backing up a VM that has an SQL server on it this may make the SQL server shut down?

Thanks for your help as always! And this product really is amazing. It's far better than what you get with VCB. On so many levels.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Question on VM tools quiescence and snapshots

Post by Gostev »

1. I am not sure, you should better check this with Domino community, and ask what other Domino admins choose to do. It is generally (in many cases) better to use VMware quiescence than not to use. But some applications get corrupted with regular VMware quiescence (for instance, MS SQL).

2. For Microsoft SQL it is better to use Veeam VSS implementation (Consistency step of Backup wizard). There are a number of topics around discussing Veeam VSS and why is it better, you can read them for more info.

The latest comment refers to target (meaning, VM restored from backup may have some data corrupted).

Thanks!
elwappo
Enthusiast

Post by elwappo »

Thanks for answering Gostev. If I may can you help me a bit more on some clarification?

If I were going to be backing up a running VM that has SQL express the recommendation from Veeam would be to not use Vmware tools quiescence but select the VSS option. Is that correct?

I will check around in the domino world and report back here so others can benefit as well. Again many thanks for taking the time to help. I'm really enjoying this product. It's great.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Yes, we recommend to use VSS option rather than VMware tools quiescence for all Windows machines that support VSS. So as for SQL servers we also recommend to use VSS, so that DB is in consistent state, so you could successfully restore it.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Just wanted to add that VMware quiescence will be disabled automatically when Veeam VSS is used, so you do not need to worry about clearing thу VMware quiescence check box in the job's advanced properties.
elwappo
Enthusiast

Post by elwappo »

Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure domino is going to be safer to use with VSS since it's just a collection of databases also. I haven't found anything official yet.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

If your Domino installation is Windows 2003/2008 based, and if your version of Domino provides Windows VSS writer, then most certainly using Veeam VSS makes great sence.
Els M
Influencer

Re: [Domino, SQL] Question on VM tools quiescence and snapshots

Post by Els M »

The question is how do we find out if the domino server has a VSS writer ?
I've been searching the net without much luck.
Elwappo, do you have already find an answer ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You may try launching these two commands in command prompt on your Domino server, and investigate output:

Code: Select all

VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS
VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS
However, best is to ask the Domino vendor directly - as they may have VSS Writer available as an optional component, which is not installed by default.
Els M
Influencer

Post by Els M »

My collegue has told me the news that running those commands didn't produce any result. So for me Lotus Notes does not support VSS; we will not use veeam to backup while the server is running.