Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MrWhite
Novice
Liked: never

B&R Quick Migrate fails near end of process

Post by MrWhite »

Attempting to migrate a running VM on ESXi 4.1 host. Veeam B&R version 6.1 free edition is installed on a VM - same host as migrating VM - and configured for 4GB RAM, Win 2003 Std.

Migration process is clean - migration parameters accepted, migration runs, destination fileset for the VM is created. VM swap in the host inventory list is not done and finish status is error with no other on-screen explanation. I could not make sense of the help logs.

On a hunch, added destination vmx to host system inventory and tried to start - got snapshot error that a dependant file is missing or unusable. I then used the snapshot manager for the new VM and deleted snapshot - the new VM starts/runs normally.

What steps should I try to resolve this to get a normal completion?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: B&R Quick Migrate fails near end of process

Post by Gostev »

Do you get this with every VM, or just one?
MrWhite
Novice

Post by MrWhite »

So far, only tried this with one VM. Trying to find the resources to do another one
MrWhite
Novice

Post by MrWhite »

Tried a different VM on another ESXi host with the same result. This time the quick migrate ran for 42:46 and processed 40GB of data at 16MB/s. At the end of the process a Job finished with error message is presented with the current timestamp and the VM name status is Failed with one Error.

I'd like to get some kind of less-cryptic information on how to troubleshoot this failure as my ouija board is in the shop for maintenance and the local soothsayers are not up to the task.

Please advise. thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

For that, you will need to open a support case and provide full logs for investigation.
queengeek
Lurker
Full Name: Teresa Lee

Post by queengeek »

Any resolution to this that can be shared? I have this issue on the Free version as I was testing it out. Regardless of the VM, the migration never completes. My current test scenario is going from vCenter to standalone host and the guest machine is powered off.

Anything?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Well, OP never posted his support case ID, so I cannot check on this for you unfortunately.
If you open a support case to troubleshoot this, kindly please include case ID here in this topic.