Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
osbprovider
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jon

Feature Request: Securing Restore Guest Files or VM

Post by osbprovider » 1 person likes this post

Feature Request: Securing Restore Guest Files or VM

Reason:

We have found that it is possible to restore files from a backed up VM on the fly - which is a great feature. The problem is, there is no security associated with it. If we have a VM, for example, a file server that we are backing up which is on another domain which no one should have access to - it is possible to recover files from its backup on the Veeam server. This of coarse would be a security risk, especially if you are a hosting provider and your client is concerned about security.

I do know that Veeam has user management, which could be applied here. Setting up user management close to the same way vSphere lets you give access to certain users to certain VMs. This way only certain users would be able to restore a VM, giving a good control over what is being backed up. This is also important for an in house solution where you have a list of VMs you are backing up and have multiple people managing Veeam. Give them certain rights to, for example, a file server would only allow the right people in your organization to restore them while giving them access to what ever VMs the are allowed to manage.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request: Securing Restore Guest Files or VM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for the feedback!
Stephane B
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Stephane Berthaud

Re: Feature Request: Securing Restore Guest Files or VM

Post by Stephane B »

I strongly agree with this feature request. I have more and more customers asking for this, and usually the biggest ones (worlwide enterprises, banks, hosting, etc.).