Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stormlight
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: JG

Veeam in a vm ever better then SAN mode? + snapshot question

Post by stormlight »

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the instance were running Veeam in a VM using hot add, is better then using Veeam on a physical box with San proxy mode.

I assume that if you backing up from a san there isn't. However what if your storage is NFS. Is it better to use Veeam in a VM to take advantage of hot add to NFS data stores? Are restore equal on both Hotadd and SAN proxy? (they go through network mode)

Also we are now supplemeting our Veeam backups with our Sans (nimble) shanpshots. It seems like I only have the choice to use vMware VSS with my san.

I remember reading in Veeam docs why its better to have Veeam quiess Microsofts VSS instead of using vMwares. Does anyone know where that was or can tell me why that is.

thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam in a vm ever better then SAN mode? + snapshot ques

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

Hot add is a good choice for backing up VMs from NFS storage. The restore will also always be performed through hot add, if you have hot add backup proxies available.

VMware VSS is better than nothing for SAN snapshots. It integrates with Microsoft VSS and does provide basic application-level quiescing, so your VMs will not be captured in crash-consistent state. However, for those taking SAN snapshots throughout the day, I usually recommend disabling any sort of quiescence, because it may noticeably impact certain production workloads.

As to more information on Veeam's application-aware processing and how it compares with basic VSS integration, this is well documented in sticky FAQ and existing topics.

Thanks.
stormlight
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: JG

Post by stormlight »

thanks, a few follow ups

"The restore will also always be performed through hot add, if you have hot add backup proxies available."
Hot add proxies are always vms that have a virtual nic that is connected to your storages vswitch correct ? Or is it just a vm on a host with accsess to storage

in veaam when you have a vm that does not need application aware image processing, should you go to advance and check check "enable vmware tools quiescence" in veeam?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No special configuration is required for hot add proxy server. Please review sticky FAQ for hot add processing mode requirements.

If I had an answer to this questions, then we would not have this option in UI :D the answer depends on your requirements for VM backups. Generally, we recommend Veeam app-aware processing enabled for ALL Windows VMs. If you don't want anything like that, then I do not see why would you want more basic option enabled (which is also known to cause sporadic snapshot creation issues due to VSS timeouts - the reason why it is disabled by default).

In future, please do not mix up unrelated questions into the same topic, as it makes the content really hard to consume for future readers.