Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bmwisme
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Bill Wester

NAS RAID level

Post by bmwisme »

I have a small budget for a NAS for backup storage - single ESXi 5 host w/5 VMs at the moment. I have tried VeeamZIP (purchase coming) to local storage (single SATA II drive datastore, not to array) and got approx. 80-90 MBps.

1) What would be the best RAID level to use for backup storage?
2) What can I expect for throughput over gigabit x 2?

I was just planning on CIFS but the devices I am considering also support NFS and iSCSI.

QNAP TS-419U
Synology RS812

Need 1U as I an renting rack space. Either unit with 8TB (4 x 2TB) Enterprise SATA II drives will hit my budget of $1500.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: NAS RAID level

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

RAID10 is best if you can afford, as it provides smallest hit on write IOPS. Otherwise, RAID5.
bmwisme
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Bill Wester

Post by bmwisme »

Gostev wrote:RAID10 is best if you can afford, as it provides smallest hit on write IOPS. Otherwise, RAID5.
Thanks Gostev. I will only have a 4 drive NAS and would prefer to have a hot spare (or 2 failure protection). I realize the best would be RAID 10 best thought I could get away with RAID 1, 5, or 6. I also wasn't sure if the a current generation low end NAS (1.6 to 2.0 GHz) will have enough processing power to support RAID 5 or 6 without a bottleneck. Totally I am only backing up 200-300 GB, much less with compression and incremental.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Hum, on that kind of NAS (iomega, qnap, synology) raid10 is best also because the CPU maybe has not enough power to manage efficiently the parity needed for raid5 or 6, while on raid10 there is no parity to be calculated. Since you only need that amount of space, you can buy 4 * 2 Tb disks, have a total space of 4 Tb and save on it a long retention...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo » 1 person likes this post

Also recommend RAID-10, buy a fifth disk and keep it on-site for quick swap when needed. The problem with RAID-5 is not just the CPU, but a random write has a 4-IO cost so with 3 drives... it just can't perform well.