Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lux
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Luigi Iotti

Manipulating vbk, vib and vrb files

Post by lux »

Hallo

Sorry if this has been discussed before, pointers are welcome.
I have daily scheduled backups, some incremental, some reverse incremental, some incremental with transform.
I would like to archive some of my backups for a period longer then the usual Veeam B&R retention period.
If my retention period is, say, 20 days, I would like to archive a weekly backup for, say, 6 months and a monthly backup for, say, one year.
It would be nice to archive only a weekly or monthly vrb file based on some known full backup (which in my mind would be the oldest, if not the only, vbk I have).
This leads to my question: is there some supported way to merge two vrb files, or produce a vrb and vbk couple based on a vbk and vib couple, apply a vrb or vib to a vbk, or compute the vib from two vbk, and other manipulations like this?

Obviously I can achieve my intent with other tools like for example rdiff-backup, but it would be much cleaner to use veeam tools, since I'm working on veeam backup.

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Manipulating vbk, vib and vrb files

Post by Gostev »

Hi - no, such manipulation is not possible. Thanks!
lux
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Luigi Iotti

Re: Manipulating vbk, vib and vrb files

Post by lux »

Ok. Maybe this could be a feature request: this would be a very handy feature in my opinion, enabling users to develop useful tools.