Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
scott2012
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: scott stanfield

Permanent Virus Removal From Veeam Lab Question

Post by scott2012 »

Hello,

I am trying to determine if it is possible to permanently remove a virus from a Vsphere VM (Windows Server 2008 Guest) running from within Veeam Virtual Lab (currently running default settings). My understanding is the change files (thus virus quarantine) get removed after the VM lab is shutdown. Is there anyway to prevent the read only backup from removing the change files and commit the virus to quarantine or deletion?

Our storage is an Exagrid where the Virtual Lab is running (Veeam 6.1)

Thank you,

Scott
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Permanent Virus Removal From Veeam Lab Question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Scott, there is no way modify backup files, as they can only be accessed in a read-only mode. Thank you!
Helqasem
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Hani El-Qasem

Post by Helqasem »

Hi Scott,

This sounds like you have a VM with a virus, the backups of the VM also have the virus and you'd like to fix the problem in the isolated Virtual Lab before bringing back into production? I'm not sure what the value is in having the changes built back into a backup file.

You might want to instant restore the VM ti an isolate Virtual Network, fix the virus, then storage vmotion the fixed VM back into production. Once done, you would need to change the virtual network settings to make it available again on production network.

Hope this helps.
scott2012
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: scott stanfield

Post by scott2012 »

Thank you,

I figured it was not possible, I just wanted to verify that there was no functionality within Veeam to allow a read only file to be modified.

Best regards,

Scott