Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

host disconnection from vcenter

Post by zak2011 »

I know this is not a VMware forum, however please bear with me for asking this... i think i messed up something.
In goal to try out instant vm recovery and sure backup, i was trying to add the Vmkernel interface to an ESX host.
So i added the extra network adaptor of the host from vsphere which was not configured on any of the vswitches to the exisitng vswitch0.
In a second i got thrown out of vsphere and the vcenter lost connectivity to that host. Although all the Vms on the ESX host are working..i need to get it back up and running as it was before.
I am not able to remove the extra interface i added to the vswitch from vsphere as its greyed out.
Could you guide me on how to remove the additional interface i added from ESX.
Sorry to post this!
Thanks
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: host disconnection from vcenter

Post by Sethbartlett »

Open up vSphere client directly to the host and try removing it.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

I tried this..but i am not able to connect directly to the host from vSphere
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

Are you getting errors when doing that? Do you not have the credentials? Do you have an iLO or some type of connection to the host?
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

I am getting error when doing that. It says it cannot connect to the host. I have the credentials. I can log in to the console from the IP console.
What should i do from there?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Try to restart management agents on the ESX(i) host while being logged in to the console, might help. Also verify that you're using the correct IP address to connect to this host using vSphere Client.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Tried doing this. However it did not help.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

What happened was i included the unassigned network card to the existing vswitch and this disconnected me from the host. The problem was resolved by adding the additional network interface that was added has been put in the same VLAN as the other NICs...so in effect there is a load balancing. However i still need to get the VMkernel up and running for Instant Recovery and Sure backup. I guess what i should i have done was to create another vswitch and add the network interface to the new vswitch.
Are there any best practices for setting up the VM kernel interface to an existing ESX host like creating another vswitch or something similar?
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Not sure there are best practices about adding VMkernel interface, but here is a step-by-step video that demonstrates how to add vmKernel port to the ESX host, might be useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wcU#t=190s
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Thanks a lot Vitaliy.