Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eliseCDR
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: eliseCDR

To user Veeam without to be administrator

Post by eliseCDR »

Hello,

Sorry i read the "rules of posting about errors and technical issues" but i don't have any suport case ID because i think it's not an error but just a little question.

We have a server (2008 SP2) where Veeam is installed (virtual machine - Vmware).
We want that some users (from I.T) can restore files without having an administrator account.
I know "1-click file restore" allows this operation but we don't have the enterprise edition.

So, have you an idea to allow user to restore files without to have totaly administrator right please ? (windows permissions or other)

Thanks a lot for your futurs answers, and sorry for my bad english

Elise
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: To user Veeam without to be administrator

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Elise,
eliseCDR wrote:We want that some users (from I.T) can restore files without having an administrator account.
Can you please clarify what administrator account you're referring to? Account on the backup server? Account on the VMs being backed up?

Be aware that we have a dedicated role called "Restore Operator", which might be exactly what you're looking for. Check out our User Guide (p. 222) for further details.

Thank you!
eliseCDR
Novice

Post by eliseCDR »

Hello Vitaliy S.,
First of all, thanks you to give me an answer.

I just read the section about "Restore operator" at the same moment you answer me.
Indeed, it's exactly what i'am looking for.
But just a last question : is it possible for users to install on their computer a console of Veeam which allows them to restore data ?
I mean : is it possible to make restore without connecting to the virtual machine which host Veeam (to avoid to allow users to connect by TSE to the server, for the answer to your question) ? A kind of reduce interface ?
I read something about the "Enterprise Manager" but it's seems to be a way to have a global view on different veeam backup ...

Sorry again if my english is not very perfect, i hope you understand me !

Have a good day,

Elise
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, Enterprise Manager allows you to search for guest OS files in the backup and restore them. It implements similar security mechanism, which is integrated with the Veeam backup server roles. I recommend to review the Enterprise Manager user guide to get better understanding.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

eliseCDR wrote:But just a last question : is it possible for users to install on their computer a console of Veeam which allows them to restore data ?
No, there is no separate Veeam backup console you could install on restore operators computers. They will need to connect to the backup server to perform FLR operations.
eliseCDR
Novice

Post by eliseCDR »

Hello everybody,

Thank you foggy for this informations.
And thank you Vitaliy S. for the answer to my question ...
It's surprising that there are many roles for different actions so for different users but the same interface for everyone ...

By the way, thank you again for informations !

Have a good day,

Elise