Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
GWallbrecher
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Guillermo Wallbrecher

Can't see hosts in SCOM Console

Post by GWallbrecher »

Hi!

I've recently installed NWorks in my enviroment. I installed the latest version, in a Windows 2003 Server R2. In the same server I have installed SCOM 2007. Since I finished the installation, I've been getting this error in the OpsMgr Event log approx 10 times every 2 minutes:
CheckEMObjectCount.vbs : Failed to enumerate CollectorsObjectCount values

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
I've configured the VMWare Servers with the UI, and I see them in the SCOM console, but I can't see the hosts (in the VCenter Topology). I looked in the Event viewer logs for the discovery, and I found event 999:
VMwareTopologyDiscovery.js : v5.7.0.1054
Discovery 'ALL' Complete!
3 API connection(s) discovered;
0 Host(s) discovered;
0 Datastore(s) discovered;
0 Cluster(s) discovered.
Script completed in 1.766s
The problem I'm seeing, is that I can't find the events 1010, 1012 or 1011, that I think that they have to be the next steps of the discovery. Don't know if this is correct.

Thanks!
GWallbrecher
Novice

Re: Can't see hosts in SCOM Console

Post by GWallbrecher »

Forgot to say. I'm not using vCenter. I have 3 standalone VMWare servers (two ESXi 4.1 and one ESX 3.5).
GWallbrecher
Novice

Post by GWallbrecher »

One more thing I found! I download the log from the Enterprise Manager UI (Option "Export Logs"), and I see this several times:
[0009] WARN SS25 Skip SSL error with certificate: RemoteCertificateNameMismatch, RemoteCertificateChainErrors
Don't know if this has to do with anything, jut trying to gather more info...

Thanks!
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hello,

Definitely something strange is happening when our MP is trying to connect to your ESX hosts. We don't think that SSL warnings can cause any issues like this, and errors with objects count script should not be a big problem.

Is it possible that something is wrong with permissions of the accounts that you are using to access these hosts? I would recommend you to check that this account has at least read-only permissions for the whole ESX server. Also it would be a good troubleshooting step to check ESX hosts for any permission issues/alerts in logs.

Also I would check that you can access these ESX hosts via network from the server where nworks is installed. You could have some weird DNS/firewall/networking issue.

If permissions, DNS and network is OK and you still experience the issue, I would recommend you to contact our Support Team (http://cp.veeam.com). We have awesome engineers working there, they will analyze your environment if necessary and I'm sure we'll find what is causing the issue.

Thanks.
GWallbrecher
Novice

Post by GWallbrecher »

Sergey, thanks for the response. the first thing I thought, was in a permissions issue. I gave the account administrator permissions to finish de configuration, but nothing happened. I thought, maybe the permissions haven't propagated well to the hosts, so I used my account (that is administrator) but the same happened.
I have opened a case, I'll be following it with the support team, and when we solve it (It's not a question of if, its a question of when, hehe) I'll come back with the resolution.
Thanks!
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov » 2 people like this post

Hi Guillermo,

Take a look at this KB article? It's quite possible that the problem is related to the naming of your stand-alone hosts.
The KB article mentioned should give you more insight into the problem.

- VM.