Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Deleting/Adding VMDK's affects IR and FLR

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Have a VM where it had 10 VMDK's.
Deleted 1 of the VMDK's and added a new 1 while the VM/system was online.
(The disk was number 6 disk in the VM that was removed.)

Thereafter SureBackup, Instant Recovery and FLR failed to work as expected.

FLR failed with a message:

Failed to power on FLR appliance Error: Unable to access file [VeeamBackup_vproxy.tld] VeeamFLR_BARNEY_6a8f1f0a-5a35-49e2-b8d7-a36caa10d07a/BARNEY.vmdk since it is locked
Unknown failure Error: Unable to access file [VeeamBackup_vproxy.tld] VeeamFLR_BARNEY_6a8f1f0a-5a35-49e2-b8d7-a36caa10d07a/BARNEY.vmdk since it is locked

SureBackup and Instant Recovery failed in respect that one of its disks was being seen as a duplicate of another one (this verified using fdisk and checking diskid), this means that we lost access to the production data on one of these disks.

All of the synthetic/incremental backups since disk addition/removal show this issue.

Veeam B&R 6.1
VM Guest OS: SLES 11 SP1 X64
VMDK's for this VM are covered by SDRS
vsphere 5.0

We however, have performed an Active Full which works as expected under Instant Recovery & SureBackup.

Support Case: 5213026

--------
Is this a bug or documented somewhere that you should run an active full backup after disk addition/removal.?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Deleting/Adding VMDK's affects IR and FLR

Post by foggy »

Neither bug nor documented, please continue working with support on this. Should be investigated closely.
stuartmacgreen
Expert

Post by stuartmacgreen »

The resolution from Veeam support and I assume must be a best practice by all means...
the VM configuration has been modified in the midle of an incremental chain, which is not recommended. If you want to modify a VM in the middle of the forward incremental chain please either create a full backup after the changes have been made, or recreate the job mapping the existing backup files to a newly created job.
Will be following this from now on.
Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks for getting back with this, Stuart!
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

Of course VM admins dont always tell the backup admins this. Its a good use case for a periodic active full backup even when you are using reverse incremental.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

This still seems like a bug to me. VMs change, disks are added and removed, that's the nature of a virtual environment. To expect customers to know that they need to run a full backup in this case isn't very realistic, what if there are dozens of VMs in the job? Interestingly, I have never run into this issue, and I've added and removed disks to many VMs over the years. I'm wondering if there is some unique circumstance that causes this issue to be exhibited.
Berniebgf
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Bernard Tyers

Post by Berniebgf »

+1, this seems a little flaw'd to me.

What is an acceptable change and what is going to break the chain?

Add memory / CPU = OK?
Add disk = OK?
Delete disk = Not OK?
Add SCSi controller????

Do we have a list of do's and don't for VM property changes in active chains?

Bernie
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

I agree with Tom, I didn't believe we have any known dont's. If there is a bug, it needs to be fixed. Do you still have your support case open, are they still investigating this?
stuartmacgreen
Expert

Post by stuartmacgreen »

I am resorting to the fact that I must perform a Active Full, when this kind of activity is performed.

Fortunately for me. Myself and 1 other are the both the backup and vm admin for our environment. So it wasnt discord from two different departments. Just a learning situation for future.

I havent had a closed case email response so I guess its still open. But going no further forward.

NOTE: I did try to replicate the same scenario with another VM and multiple disks, multiple SCSI controllers and same type of backup job, removing/adding disks etc But could not repeat the scenario. FLR and IR worked as expected without error.

Only thing to add to the mix is that our VM is in a SDRS cluster. But I dont expect that to be an issue.

I just love the fact we can find this problem with the backup chain with the features of Veeam. And can understand how to work with the product, around system admin tasks.

Stuart