Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Drew Green

[SOLVED] Problem w/ SureBackup & SonicWall

Post by drew.green@tjtpa.com » 2 people like this post

We run SonicWall NSA2400's at our gateway. These devices perform routing as well as gateway antivirus/antimalware/IPS/etc. I'm just starting to configure SureBackup for our Veeam environment.

I ran into an issue yesterday where SureBackup kept failing (I don't recall the exact error, but the Veeam server was unable to communicate with the ESXi host or vCenter, or something like that. I then noticed that our internet dropped suddenly (as a result of our primary NSA2400 failing-over to its backup device). After scanning through the logs of the router, I discovered hundreds of blocked attempts from the Veeam server to communicate with whatever it was trying to talk to due to the traffic being detected as "Generic.Shellcode (Exploit)" (in the Gateway AntiVirus security service). I disabled detection of this attack, and the problem was solved. I think that the constant stream of "malicious" traffic overloaded my router, causing the failover.

If anyone is running a SonicWall w/ Gateway AntiVirus and is having trouble w/ SureBackup, be sure to check those settings out.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: [Solved] Problem w/ SureBackup & SonicWall

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Drew, thank you for taking time to share this with other community members, much appreciated!
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Drew Green

Re: [Solved] Problem w/ SureBackup & SonicWall

Post by drew.green@tjtpa.com » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote:Hi Drew, thank you for taking time to share this with other community members, much appreciated!
My pleasure, Gostev. And by the way, I really enjoy your Sunday night emails; always an interesting read and thought-provoking scenarios to consider for the coming work-week! Hopefully we can chat over drinks at a future virtualization conference that Veeam is present at in the near future.