Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
gashmore
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Graham Ashmore

Guest drive space alarms

Post by gashmore »

I was under the impression that if a guest machine being monitored by Veeam via SCVMM 2008 was running low on disk space that this would trigger an alarm? Recently our Windows Server 2003 with Exchange (on HyperV) ran out of drive C:\ space (which isnt very nice!) due to someone enable advanced logging - the first I knew about it was when the server fell over, I would have expected an alert from Veeam, but nothing, is there anything else I have to configure to monitor GUEST disk space or is this not possible?

Also on reading the Veeam One documentation it mentions nothing on times to schedule data collection jobs, currently I have this set to every 2 hours, but not sure if this is right/advised?

Any advice or best practice would be good.

Cheers!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Guest drive space alarms

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Graham,

1. Guest disk monitoring feature is only available for VMware VMs, currently we do not collect this information for Hyper-V VMs.

2. Performance and events data is collected in real-time, there is no schedule for that. As to the collection jobs, then they retrieve only configuration data from your Hyper-V environment and I bet this data doesn't change very often, right?

I would recommend running your collection jobs every 4 hours, at least I have specified this schedule for my own lab. This schedule shouldn't have any negative impact on your Hyper-V host performance and it should allow you to report on the most recent configuration changes of your VI.

Thanks!
gashmore
Novice
Full Name: Graham Ashmore

Post by gashmore »

Thanks very much for the clarification on those points!

Just a quick question, are there future plans to incorporate disk space monitoring for Hyper V guests into future updates of Veeam? I miss our HP monitoring so may have to think of another way if this isn't going to be possible.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

We will investigate possible ways of adding this feature into the next releases. Hopefully Microsoft will start publishing this information through its Integration Services as this sounds like the most efficient way of gathering this information without requiring Guest OS credentials for each VM.
mondface
Lurker
Full Name: Frank Buettner

Post by mondface »

How can we exclude partitions in the guest vm from the space alarm?
we have for example in every vm a partition only for the page file
and the scsi id for the vmdk is always 13.
so the same for partition for db log and db data.
there is slightly free space in the partition too.

frAnk
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Frank, here is an existing topic for the instructions: Excludes from Monitoring. Thanks!
spenny
Influencer
Full Name: Sam Penny

Post by spenny »

Hey Guys,

Any update on the Guest OS space alarms for Hyper-V?! From what I gather it's still not there.

Thx,
Sam
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it's not, but we are planning to add it in 9.5