Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
YoMarK
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Mark

Guest file system indexing on powered off VM

Post by YoMarK »

Hello,

Up until now I was primarily using replica's and was only using (Sure)backups for certain VM's(AD/Exchange item level recovery), and it's working great.

I never used guest file system indexing, but since it has some nice features and possibilities for fileservers, I started experimenting with it yesterday.
First setback that it's grayed out in the replica job property, and it was a pain to find out why this was the case(because it's not available on replica jobs :) ).
Wondering: Why not leave it completely out of the job property's just like a lot of options that are available on "Backup" jobs but not on "replica" jobs? :)
(Feature request to make guest file system indexing possible for replica's also ;) )

Anyway, because the fileserver VM's I was talking about are big(3x ~4TB) and replicating takes a long time(to a remote site with ESX & and a SAN), and the backup window does not really allow for a replica and a backup from the production environment, I thought: I've got some storage free, let's just take a backup from the replica I just replicated. The replica's are of course powered off.
Then found out that they still don't show up in the enterprise manager "file" tab. When I examined the job log i saw that it says "Guest processing skipped(VM is powered off)", does this mean guest file system indexing is only available on powered on VM's?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Guest file system indexing on powered off VM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mark,

Yes, you're correct. VM files indexing as well application aware image processing is only available for Powered On VMs.

Thanks for the feature request!
YoMarK
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Mark

Re: Guest file system indexing on powered off VM

Post by YoMarK »

Thanks for the reply, hopefully the indexing on replica's will be added to a next release. :)
Seems like I'll have to just take only backups from the fileserver VM's then, and just only create a replica in the weekend.