Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
back4ward
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew

Standalone ESXi Server

Post by back4ward »

Does anyone have any recommendations for backing up a standalone ESXi host with 3 virtual machines?

It would be backing up to Synology NAS - not really a perfect solution but its what we are working with.

Would I need to run the backups from another server or desktop? My concern would be if I ran them from one of 3 virtual machines if the host was down or a problem with the VM what ways could I restore? Would I be able to load veeam onto a high end desktop and restore or run the VM's until the problem with the ESXi host server is fixed?

Any advice would be appreciated
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Standalone ESXi Server

Post by foggy »

Andrew, you can always import the backup file to the newly installed Veeam B&R and make it ready for restore. Otherwise, you can use a standalone utility (extract.exe) coming with every Veeam B&R installation and allowing to restore VMs from any VBK file, even without the product installed. Thanks!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I think right now you can even install VeeamZIP free edition on a notebook and start restores from here...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
back4ward
Lurker
Full Name: Andrew

Post by back4ward »

Awesome! Thanks very much Alexander and Luca for the responses really appreciate it.
officemaximus
Novice

Restore all VMs to rebuilt standalone ESX host

Post by officemaximus »

[merged]

Hi,

I know this isn’t strictly a Veeam question but hopefully someone has done something similar and can help with restoring the VMs.

In our DMZ we have a standalone HP Proliant with internal storage running ESX host v4.1 that we will be upgrading to ESXi v5.1. It runs 4 VMs one of which is a Virtual Center server that also runs Veeam B&R for backing up the VMs.

The Veeam backups are dumped to the Virtual Center\Veeam VM and from here a job is run to back them up to another server on the LAN.

Assuming we’ve completely rebuilt the host and wiped all the storage (which we have to do), what’s the easiest way to get all the VMs back up and running. I can’t work out how I’m going to restore them when I have no VMs running in the DMZ.

Thanks
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Restore all VMs to rebuilt standalone ESX host

Post by dellock6 »

You can simply install Veeam on another server, even your own windows computer, connect it to both the new ESXi server and the storage where you are saving your backups, and from here completely restore all your VMs.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

officemaximus
Novice

Post by officemaximus »

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds easy-as and will install latest version of esx5.0. Cheers