Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SlntKngt
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Hanré Van Rensburg

VEEAM Repository on Proxy.

Post by SlntKngt »

Hi,

I have what could be considered a stupid question however after searching through manuals and forums I haven't really found any definitive answer to this...

Is it recommended to put the backup repository on a separate server as the backup proxy? If so, why?
I'm just after the pros and cons of placing both roles on the same server.

Thanks for any input!

Cheers,
Hanré
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: VEEAM Repository on Proxy.

Post by chrisdearden »

Placing both roles on the server will reduce LAN traffic ( and if you use direct SAN - enable LAn-Free backups )

However if you are scaling our your proxy architecture you might aim for a centralized repository.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Hanré, there is no such recommendation - as depending on your backup target, such deployment will often be simply impossible.

In most basic deployment (single proxy), having repository on the same server help to avoid backup data going over the network. But, as soon as you have more than 1 proxy for load-balancing and redundancy (recommended approach), this no longer matters, as all proxies (but one may be) would have to write data through the network in all cases. Thanks!
SlntKngt
Novice

Post by SlntKngt »

Thanks guys.

The deployment will be geographically dispersed with storage located at each site. My plan at the moment is to have a proxy located at each site with storage attached from the local SAN for the repository. I will then configure the jobs to use a specific proxy so that each proxy only backs up VMs located locally.

I was just really checking whether there won't be any disadvantage to putting the repository on the proxy like additional overhead which could affect the running of the backups jobs but it appears from what you say below that I won't need to worry about that.

Thanks!
Hanré
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Uhm, there is another problem anyway in what you are saying: I understood correctly, you are going to save backups inside the same local SAN where the saved VMs are running? IF so, this is a bad practice, if you loose your san you loose both productive VMs and their backups. Save backup outside of the SAN.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
SlntKngt
Novice

Post by SlntKngt »

Thanks for the reply Luca.

The VEEAM repositories will be backed up each night with CommVault to tape and the LUNs being used will be replicated across sites so we have two copies of everything on disk and one copy on tape.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

[MERGED] Proxy and repository

Post by marius roma »

When I install a new Veeam B&R server, the backup server is automatically configured as a backup proxy and repository.
So if there is enough storage space backup jobs can be directed to the local repository without passing thru the LAN.
Can I implement a backup proxy with a local repository (a storage directly connected to the proxy server), so that the proxy directs jobs to the local storage without passing thru the LAN?
Regards
marius
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Can I implement a backup proxy with a local repository (a storage directly connected to the proxy server), so that the proxy directs jobs to the local storage without passing thru the LAN?
Yes, you can. Please review this thread and feel free to ask questions.

Thank you.
diko
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by diko »

Hi,

Can you explain that in more details? We have same situation. Our Veeam Backup Server act as single Backup proxy and has directly attached backup storage for it. We created virtual proxy VM's.
Now we should configure it for our backup jobs. We need setup proxy to do direct jobs to the local storage avoiding LAN as mention Marius in his post.
Can you explain steps for this setup?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
We need setup proxy to do direct jobs to the local storage avoiding LAN as mention Marius in his post.
You need to assign the repository role to the proxy that has a directly attached storage. Just make sure that the traffic stays local. If you want the backup proxy to avoid using LAN to retrieve data from production storage then you should stick with either hotadd mode or direct SAN.

Thanks