Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
SteveP
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Papanchev

Cannot install Hyper-V Integration component

Post by SteveP »

Hello All,

Total Veeam B&R newbie here, so please excuse me if I've missed something basic!

I am trying to evaluate B&R for our Hyper-V environment (host is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 box, which is also a domain controller).

The installation of the B&R core has gone OK on my Windows 2003 x64 server (also a DC), but when it comes to installing the Hyper-V Integration service on the 2008 R2 Hyper-V host, it always fails.

I have tried installing the Hyper-V Integration component both from within the Veeam console (i.e. remotely), and natively by running the .msi installer on the Hyper-V host, but it always ends with the error message: 'The wizard was interrupted before Veeam Hyper-V Integration could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified.'

I have looked on the Internet and these forums for similar errors, but nothing seems to match.

File & Printer sharing are enabled on the host (even though it has no printers installed), as I saw that this was a pre-requisite.

I have opened a case with Veeam Support (case #5219093), but since I'm only evaluating the software I'm not sure this will be a priority for them :?

Is this to do with the fact that my host is a DC - I never found a definitive answer - again, apologies if I've missed it?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Cannot install Hyper-V Integration component

Post by Gostev »

Hello Steve, not sure - I have not seen this issue reported before either. Might be due to DC indeed, or could be that some 3rd party software is causing it - for example, antivirus. Let's see what our support says (your support case gets normal priority). Thanks for including the support case ID!
SteveP
Novice

Post by SteveP »

Hi Anton

There's no third party software running on it (no AV), apart from the Hyper-V and AD components...

Thanks for the quick reply.

Steve
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Steve - one of our QC guys reached out to me after seeing your post - he looked up screenshots attached to your support case, and looks like you are attempting to install MSI on Windows 2008 server (when we only support Windows 2008 R2). Can you please confirm the OS version? Thanks!
SteveP
Novice

Post by SteveP »

Hi Anton,

I inherited this server and assumed it was R2 like our other boxes - I'll check and get back to you.

Steve
SteveP
Novice

Post by SteveP »

Hi Anton,

It is indeed Windows 2008 (not R2) - apologies for the D'OH moment!

Steve