Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jdw3434
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Justin Wyatt

Replicating Backup files to another site - Suggestions

Post by jdw3434 »

I have 18 VM's backing up successfully. I also have another site about 10 miles away connected by a 100mb wireless point-to-point system. I would like to replicate all of my backup data to our alternate site for disaster recovery purposes. I have a vbk file that is approaching 500 gig and VRB files that together are nearly 400 gig ( nearly 900 gig in all). What is the best way to replicate this data between sites. I have tried windows DFS replication without much luck. I think the files are too big to stage.

Is anyone else doing this? If so how?
Is this feasible?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Replicating Backup files to another site - Suggestions

Post by tsightler »

I would suggest rsync. While rsync is thought of as a unix/linux tool, it is also available for Windows and is pretty good at this task. We used to sync our several hundred GB database files to our DR site by simply taking snapshot and rsync to the remote site over a 3Mb link. While rsync has to read the entire file, it only sends the changes across the wire.

Another really slick option available with Windows 2008 is to use it's built in backup tool Windows Server Backup. This tool can backup a volume to disk, and supports incremental block backups so if you use WSB to backup the volume where you keep you Veeam backups to a remote site you get incremental copies to the remote site, and the remote site will keep previous versions via VSS. The biggest disadvantage that Windows Server Backup backups up it's data to a VHD file, not directly to another volume. Fortunately there are tools which will mount VHD files as volumes so this is not a major issue.
jdw3434
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Justin Wyatt

Re: Replicating Backup files to another site - Suggestions

Post by jdw3434 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have setup and scheduled delta copy. I will see how it goes in the a.m.