Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jpeake
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times

rsync on Windows - slow

Post by jpeake »

I am trying different options for offsite, based on lots of great info from the forums. Wanting to try rsync.

I have Veeam installed on 8-core Win2008 R2 physical machine, backup repo is an iSCSI SAN volume. Setting up rsync to copy backup files to a NAS that is also local over 1Gb Ethernet.

I am using the rsync binary from DeltaCopy and it's extremely slow. Under 5MB/s. If i turn on CIFS on the NAS I can get in the upper 80's just dragging and dropping files from Windows Explorer from the SAN volume to NAS CIFS folder.

How can i speed up rsync, and why is it so slow? I understand that future runs will only copy delta blocks, and that's great and does seem to work. But the initial NAS seeding is going to be painful. Is there something I am missing with rsync?

I searched this forum for ideas, didn't see anything.
jpeake
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times

Re: rsync on Windows - slow

Post by jpeake »

---------UPDATE ----------

I moved some backup .vib's over to a Linux server and tried to rsync to the NAS from it. Speed doubled, to 9MB/s. Better but still terrible. Looking at the NAS GUI, it appears to be CPU bound. While rsync'ing from a Linux box the CPU on NAS is pegged at 100%. While rsync'ing from Windows Server, the CPU is around 75%, and speed is 4.5 MB/s

NAS is QNAP 419PII, pretty low end, but I was hoping for more. I guess I will just have to wait out an rsync cycle to seed the NAS, and see how it performs with delta's afterwards. My plan is to move the NAS to a remote site after testing is done, so am trying remote agent (2 job method) vs. rsync.