Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Backup Speed Factors

Post by flavor4real »

All of my current Backup Jobs have the following options unchecked:
- Backup options: Enable VMWare toolsquiescence
- Enable application-aware image processing

I wondered if this could have any effect on the actual backup speed. I currently have 21-27 MB/s and used to have ~500-700 MB/s.

the processing Mode is set to Virtual Appliance but I don't have the Fail over to network mode selected.

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup Speed Factors

Post by Gostev »

Are you possibly comparing numbers from full and incremental runs? Because 500-700 MB/s is pretty insane speed for full backup. I have only seen such speed once, with SSD SAN on 10Gb Ethernet. On the other hand, 30 MB/s is quite typical backup speed for low-end hardware on 1Gb Ethernet.

As for the speed factors, bottleneck analysis from the job statistics will clearly show what what is holding up your backups.
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Post by flavor4real »

It's been a good while when I had speeds of that fast. The average at that time was ~400MB/sec. I will see about a bottleneck analysis from the job statistics. Does that mean to send the required log files and open a ticket for the support team to take a look at it?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Well, keep in mind that older Veeam versions measured processing speed differently.
No need to contact support, this is shown right in the job statistics for you.