Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mgd5
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christer Sundqvist

Veeam 6.1 Design

Post by mgd5 »

Hi

We have purchased Veeam Backup and Replication for our VMware environment and i have a few questions that i need help with in the design area.

We are thinking of running veeam in virtual machine and have virtual backup proxies move the data, anyone doing that ?. How many proxieservers do you think is required? There is 9 ESXi hosts HP Proliant dl380 and around 250 virtual machines. Must there be once proxie for each esxi host ? or can you manage with less.

For storage we are using datadomain but i can´t seem to find any articels of using it with datadomain

Regards

mgd5
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam 6.1 Design

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Christer,

Yes, having virtual proxy servers as well as virtual Veeam backup console is a pretty common practice among our existing customers. The number of proxy servers required depends on your setup and desired job configuration. If you want to use HotAdd processing mode, then you need to make sure that Veeam backup proxy is located on the host which has access to the storage with VMs being backed up.

Here is a good reading on sizing your backup infrastructure, please check it out: Proxy server scoping sizing

As to the datadomain usage, then there are plenty existing discussions on our forums, here is one of them: Veeam, DataDomain and Linux NFS share

Hope this helps!