Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
warix
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Veeam agent on ESX

Post by warix »

Hello,

My co-workers say me there are veeam backup agents to install on the ESX. is ti real or not?
And if real what is the interest of the agent?

Thanks a lot
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Veeam agent on ESX

Post by Gostev »

Hello,

Yes, in case of full ESX Veeam Backup is able to optionally leverage small service console agent (this happens if you specify SSH credentials in the host's settings). This agent is not persistent, it is automatically deployed when you are performing some operation (backup, replication, file copy) and removed immediately after the operation completes.

This agent helps us to do a few things better:
- perform network traffic compression and empty block removal for all Veeam Backup operations.
- in case of incremental network backup cycle: scans VM for changed blocks locally, instead of doing this over network from Veeam Backup console.
- in case of replication: agent is mandatory on target ESX because it performs replica and rollback file processing.

When installed and running, the agent can be seen using top or ps Linux service console commands, it's name is veeamagent or something like it. :wink:
warix
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by warix »

Thanks,

(sorry for my english I'm french)

So if I understand
When I load an VC or ESX in veeam backup console and I launch a backup job the veeam agent are deployed in my esx and after the job completed the agents are removed?

Is that??
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, that is correct.

I recommend that you use the agent for better performance, but if you do not like agents on ESX for any reasons, you can simply clear the SSH connection checkbox in the server settings, and the agent will not be used. Veeam Backup is the only solution on the market that also support agentless mode (all competitive solutions only provide agent-based mode).