Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JamesMcG
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: James McGuinness

Best way to quick test backups

Post by JamesMcG »

I'm new to Veeam and vmware, been a couple months now. Anyway I'm looking for what would be the best way to test our Veeam backups. I've read over the SureBackup stuff and I think it's a little overkill for what I want to do. I'm not crazy about restoring an entire job of many machines, more like 1 machine. Does it boot, data is good etc? Anyone have some ideas for me on how to accomplish this?

Basically I'd want to:
- restore a machine, not affecting current running version
- no network required, I'll use console to confirm it's ok
- easily delete my restore after a spot check

I see the value in SureBackup, and will probably make use of it but for now I just need a simple procedure for spot checks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Best way to quick test backups

Post by Gostev »

JamesMcG wrote:Does it boot, data is good etc?
This is exactly what SureBackup is designed to do. And this is exactly what most basic SureBackup job with all the default settings would do.
JamesMcG
Enthusiast

Post by JamesMcG »

I must have read the topic wrong in the manual then! Am I able to select just 1 machine for SureBackup or is it linked to an entire backup job only?
buck
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by buck »

I'm curious about this, too. I have the Essentials version, is SureBackup part of that? If not, what are my options for testing a backup?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

For a manual check you can always just use instant restore and just make sure to select the option to leave the VM disconnected from the network. You can then manually login with a local administrator account (can't use a domain account since it's not on the network, although a cached domain account may work) and poke around all you want. For automated testing, make sure system boots, pings, etc., setting up Surebackup is pretty simple.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

JamesMcG wrote:Am I able to select just 1 machine for SureBackup or is it linked to an entire backup job only?
You can create an application group with just 1 VM. No need to link the backup job if you only want to test 1 VM.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

buck wrote:I'm curious about this, too. I have the Essentials version, is SureBackup part of that? If not, what are my options for testing a backup?
SureBackup is available in Veeam B&R Enterprise Edition only, so if you have Enterprise Edition of Veeam Essentials, you have SureBackup.
JamesMcG
Enthusiast

Post by JamesMcG » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote: You can create an application group with just 1 VM. No need to link the backup job if you only want to test 1 VM.
Ok this is what I needed to hear, just gave it a shot and it's perfect for my needs. Thanks!