Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JoshRountree
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Josh Rountree

File copy says it failed, but files look like they are there

Post by JoshRountree »

I started a fily copy job to copy all of my backups to an external USB hard drive in preparation to take to my DR site to seed my backups. The job said it failed, but all the files look like they are there - same number and size. Do you think I'm okay to use the external hard drive to seed the backups even though the job reported as failed?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: File copy says it failed, but files look like they are t

Post by foggy »

What is the failure reason in this case, I wonder. There is no data integrity check on mapping the backup files, so if the file is still corrupt, it will not bring you anything good.
JoshRountree
Enthusiast

Post by JoshRountree »

I read the error, but didn't read it closely enough. I told it to grab the whole drive where I stored my backups, maybe it couldn't get this because Windows had a lock on it?

Code: Select all

Failed to copy item 'System Volume Information' Error: Access to the path 'E:\System Volume Information' is denied.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I guess so. You can run another job to re-copy just your backup files (to be on the safe side and get Success in the job stats).
JoshRountree
Enthusiast

Post by JoshRountree »

It took from 8 AM yesterday till 1 AM today to do it, so I'm not too keen on having to do it again if I can help it.

If I try to use these backups to seed my off site backup, if the backup is no good will it fail? Can it tell if the backup is bad or not?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

As I said, there is no data integrity check in the file copy job, so the only way to verify the backup is to restore from it. However, I would not worry in your case as the job failed on another folder. Treat this operation as copying of the same files and folders using Windows Explorer, the result would be the same.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

"System Volume Information" is a system folder that can't be accessed by default. And normally it's a hidden folder. Except you've made it visible over the folder option in windows explorer (under the View tab). Try hiding it again (there should be a checkbox called "Hide protected operating system files) and re-run your job.