Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Question about Exchange backups

Post by Aremac »

A check of our Exchange servers raised a red flag in that the mails stores show for both "time of last full backup" and "time of last incremental backup" as 'This type of backup was never performed' Veeam Backs these systems up regularly. My guess is that this is being reported becase the databases are set for circular logging and no log truncation is being performed so from Exchanges perspective no backup activity is going on. Can anyone validate this? Also, If I didable circular logging and enable trucate on sucessful backup, will Exchange properly reflect that the databases are backed up?

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Question about Exchange backups

Post by Gostev »

Yes, they will.
kgorny22
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Gorny

[MERGED] Exchange 2010 Circular Logging and Replication

Post by kgorny22 »

Hello,

I have a Exchange 2010 Server that is eating up a lot of drive space very quickly. I read into circular logging and why it is by default disabled. (for anyone that doesn't know it allows exchange to overwrite previous logs to save space). The only problem with that is, since all logs are not fully available you can't recover more data than your last full backup. We do replication and have 28 restore points. I am wondering if this will cause some kind of errors or will not all me to restore to a specific point.

Thanks in advance and hopefully I provided enough info.
kgorny22
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Gorny

Post by kgorny22 »

Thanks Gostev for the quick answer
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You will be able to restore to any of the restore points created by Veeam B&R. As far a I understand, circular logging just prevents logs from being replayed on restore in cases where the log wrapped before the next backup is performed (allowing you to recover to the state at the moment of backup only, any data since the backup will be lost). However, you can avoid this by having more frequent backups.