Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
birdsofprey02
Lurker
Liked: never

OS File Level recovery Helper Appliance

Post by birdsofprey02 »

In my attempt to restore the file, I use the wizard, select the correct host node, pick the correct network label for the VLAN (same vlan as our veeam backup server but different than the esx) and assign an IP address. During the attempt, I see the helper appliance created in vsphere, I see it power on and boot up, I can even see a console logon prompt. Then the job errors out and the helper appliance is shutdown and unregistered. During this time, it doesn't appear that the IP is ever set.

The error replies: Failed to login to "our ip address" by SSH, port 22, user "root", elevateToRoot False, autoSudo False
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond (our IP address):22.

I've enabled SSH on the esx host and permit root login (even tested via the putty console) and turned on tech support mode.

When the helper appliance launched, I took a look at the settings before it shutdown and I saw the correct label in the network adapter summary, but I did not see the label listed on Network Label: under network connection, nor did I see the device status have the connected checkbox checked.

Since I have a brief second to look at the vm helper appliance settings, I went ahead and checked off "connected" and also used the drop down to pick the correct vlan. Vsphere then updates the VM immediately and seconds later, I'm presented with the file explorer windows successfully. In other words, I can get this to work if I manually add the network label during the appliance bootup, but it doesn't appear to be applied correctly via the wizard.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: OS File Level recovery Helper Appliance

Post by Gostev »

Are you using DVS or Cisco Nexus 1000V?
birdsofprey02
Lurker

Post by birdsofprey02 »

We have a DVS setup with VLAN tagging.

No Cisco Nexus 1000v.

I also put in a help desk case: ID#5147271
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, then this is a known issue. You need to get a hotfix from our support, this would make multi-OS FLR wizard work in DVS environments. You need to be running the latest version (5.0.2 released back in April) in order to be able to apply said hotfix. Thanks!
zepelin16
Lurker
Full Name: Floren Avila

Post by zepelin16 »

Hi, I have the same case but i have Cisco Nexus 1000V.
Any solution?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Same as in my last response.
mikolee
Novice
Full Name: Miko Lee

Post by mikolee »

Hi all,

Where can i download this hotfix?? Could you please provide the link?
We are having the same problem here and unable to restore.

Regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Miko, this hotfix was available for Veeam B&R version 5.0.2 released in April, 2011. If you are still running v5, you could request this hotfix through support, though technical support for this version has already ended several months ago. As far as I remember, full support for DVS switches was introduced in version 6.0, so you can eliminate this issue by simply upgrading to the current version. Thanks!
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Post by Peejay62 »

This known issue still exists, even in V7? I am experiencing the same issue here with my flr helper appliance.
" Failed to login to "our ip address" by SSH, port 22, user "root", elevateToRoot False, autoSudo False
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond (our IP address):22.

thanks, Peter
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Post by Peejay62 » 1 person likes this post

just got it working. Running the helper appliance on the same esxserver as where the backupserver runs solved the problem. I've put the appliance also in the same vlan as the B&R server and gave it a fixed ip-adress within the same subnet. It's working fine now.
Have to keep that in mind for the future.

Peter
professorhat
Lurker
Full Name: Antony Grace

Post by professorhat »

This is an issue - I cannot assign the helper appliance an IP address on the same network as the main backup server (it's a physical backup server on a different network not available to the VMs). I ran one restore and the OS level recovery worked okay, but when I've run a second one, I keep getting the above error i.e.

Failed to login to "our ip address" by SSH, port 22, user "root", elevateToRoot False, autoSudo False

I can see the helper appliance boot up and it's assigned the correct IP address, but I can only assume the gateway is not being assigned and this is why you needed to have it set to be on the same subnet for yours to work.

What's odd though is that it did work once, but now fails to work again. I've rebooted the B&R server but that has made no difference. Does anyone know the solution?

EDIT - Knew I should have waited to reply. Problem solved for me - the server was not being put on to the correct vSwitch (despite the correct vSwitch being selected in the wizard). The solution is to watch the appliance be registered in vCenter, then quickly edit the settings and choose the correct vSwitch. Hey presto, appliance is then on the network and restore works okay.

This is clearly a bug which needs investigation though.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Antony, please open a support case and let us investigate your issue. If our devs confirm this is a bug on our side, we will certainly fix it. Thanks!