Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
skeeziix
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Erica

VMWare 5.1 and VEEAM 6.1 Hot Add Failing over to NDB

Post by skeeziix »

I have VMWare 5.1 and VEEAM 6.1. On VMWare I have a Windows 2008 R2 Server installed with VEEAM which is on the same ESXi host (Dell Poweredge R710) as the servers I am attempting to backup, they are also Windows 2008 R2. I do have vCenter Server setup also. Sometimes it goes to hotadd but most of the time it defaults over to ndb. I have a proxy on the source servers and tried to force it by making the proxy only virtual appliance w/o failover, yet it still goes ndb? I've read all of the issues on this and have come up with nothing thus far. It would be nice to have a HOW TO for VMWare and VEEAM. It is supposed to automatically detect this but apparently it isn't doing that. Any ideas, resources, anything??? Thanks! :shock:
skeeziix
Influencer

Re: VMWare 5.1 and VEEAM 6.1 Hot Add Failing over to NDB

Post by skeeziix »

I've read the proxy needs to be on the host that has "access" to the datastore, how exactly do I set this up?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Actually there is nothing to setup. If you want to use HotAdd backup mode, then make sure that the ESX(i) host running backup proxy server VM have all datastores where protected VMs' disks reside connected to it. Thanls!
skeeziix
Influencer

Post by skeeziix »

They are all on the same host and on the same datastore, why then would it failover to ndb?
skeeziix
Influencer

Post by skeeziix »

It says "Using source proxy SERVER [ndb]"
then "Preparing guest for hot backup"

sometimes it says [hotadd] but now it mostly defaults to ndb
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

skeeziix wrote:They are all on the same host and on the same datastore, why then would it failover to ndb?
There are several limitations of using hotadd mode outlined in the following KB article: http://www.veeam.com/KB1054.

Also, do you see this on all of your VMs? Please note, that the proxy server cannot backup itself using hotadd mode (this is a known limitation covered in the release notes). While backing up itself, proxy server fails over to the network mode.
skeeziix
Influencer

Post by skeeziix »

Yes, I have read and reread that documentation. Our setup is pretty cookie cutter. And we are not backing up the proxy server on the VM. Like I said it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then my guess is vSphere 5.1, which is (just to remind) not officially supported in the current version of Veeam B&R. Although seems that basic functionality works according to our testing, however, the testing was not comprehensive enough to reveal all possible issues.
skeeziix
Influencer

Post by skeeziix »

Might be a stupid question but I am unclear on this... where should the proxy for the source be? Do I want it installed on the servers I am backing up, on the backup server itself, or on the vCenter Server?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can set it up on any Windows machine that meets the corresponding system requirements (and you already have a default one installed as a part of your Veeam B&R). Please review the sticky FAQ topic for some recommendations and there are also a number of existing topics regarding that.
skeeziix
Influencer

Post by skeeziix »

^^^ Yes, I have read that also...

Here is what I found. If I leave everything default on the Job it works. Keep the Backup Proxy = Automatic selection on the Job and under the Proxy settings.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

And which configuration does not work for you? Btw, do you have several proxy servers?