Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kernell32
Novice
Liked: never

vSphere deployment considerations & performance

Post by kernell32 »

Hello,

im just planning and testing a VEEAM backup strategy.

In my current setup (see picture) VEEAM runs on a Windows 2011 SBS server wich is at the same time holding our files and ActiveDirectory. That server is assigned with 8GB mem and 1 vcpu (4 vcores).
Here VEEAM needs to backup itself, this VM has about 400Gig data split over 2 x 500Gig Disks (thin provisioned)

The other VMs are smaller 10-100Gig data each (thin provisioned)

All VMs lay on a Fibre Channel Raid10 Datastore connected to each ESX.
Our backup repository is a Qnap NAS connected via iscsi aswell to each ESX.

The backup repository LUN exists on all ESX and is assigned to the VEEAM VM by ESX as a 1,5 TB HD.

Actual VEEAM configuration is 1 Job per VM, using "Virtual Aplliance" as transport mode with failover to NBD

All VMs backup with roundabout 30-50 MB/s in Hotadd mode where the bottleneck is the Proxy, only the "Selfbackup" of the VEEAM VM falls back to NBD but backs up with 60-80 MB/s, bottleneck is again the proxy.

This seems a little weird to me why is NBD Faster than Virtual appliance mode?
What can i do to speed up things?
How will my setup perform in case of desaster (lets say the VEEAM/AD VM goes to hell)?

i thought of either:
1. add more ressources to the VEEAM/AD Server
2. connect the backup repository via microsoft iscsi directly to the VEEAM server instead of assigning it through ESX
3. split up the VEEAM install, move proxy or DB to a dedicated VM
3. move VEEAM completely to a dedicated VM (Windows XP 32bit, or Windows 7 64bit)

i wouldnt like to add any high ressource additional VM because we will soon get new ERP system and i need to preserve a certain level of hardware redundancy (ressources where i can fall back onto)

What other options come to your mind and from what would i benefit the most?

im very new to virtualisation based backups so please be patient with me :-)
Any help is very welcome.

Regards
Florian
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: vSphere deployment considerations & performance

Post by dellock6 »

4 is the first stes you can take to improve your design. You can start by dedicating a new VM to Veeam and use it to backup everything. Remember virtual proxy cannot backup itself by using hotadd nor CBT, that's why you see it failing over to network mode. By using a dedicated server you can use CBT for the SBS server.
Just start with a first "all-in-one" veeam server and see if it's enough to backup everything. You can always add a second proxy later.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
kernell32
Novice
Liked: never

Post by kernell32 »

Hello and thanks,

i have set up a dedicated vm for veeam, overall performance has increased a lot.

Now the bottleneck for all jobs is the target as it is iscsi its the slowest part in the chain.
Now i go for some tweaking, a dedicated switch for iscsi and enabling jumboframes will be the next step.

Regards
Flo
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Great to know.
Remember, there will always be a bottleneck somewhere, but it does not mean something is not running good. If the speed you get is ok for you, just stick with that bottleneck :)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Post by habibalby »

Hello,

1. Install Veeam on your Physical Server and configure it only as Veeam Engine, not as Repository nor Proxy.
2. Install a Proxy as VMs and put them beside the Veeam Server, on the same IP Address/DNS..
3. Make sure your name resolution works properly from Veeam to Proxy and vice versa.
4. Install a Repository as a VM and let it access the Repository LUN via iSCSI Initiator.
5. Add the repository to the Veeam Server and let it recognize it.
6. Since your Proxies Virtual Machine, configure them as HotAdd Mode. "Virtual Appliance" and leave everything as Automatic.
7. Bundle 5 VMs and above in one job, instead of 1 Job per VM.

The proxies in HotAdd mode would be hungry for vCPU resources and not memory, just make sure at least you have 8 vCPUs per proxy and that depends on your workload.. Make sure the Veeam Engine Server has got enough memory for job processing and diffently you should see great improvment.

Attached my Veeam Design Diagram, you can make use of it..

http://imageshack.us/f/818/veeamsymantecnetworkdia.jpg

Thanks,