Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Pkaer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Pkaerlagad

Veeam replication & multi-wan

Post by Pkaer »

Hello,

Because we have a very poor upload bandwith between 2 sites and no way to upgrade them, I wonder if Veeam replication should work with multi-wan router and Bandwidth aggregation?
In this case could you tell me what router I can find with these features.

Best regards,
pkaer
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Veeam replication & multi-wan

Post by dellock6 »

Hi, Veeam works at layer3 (tcp/ip) so is network-indipendent, what it sees are source and destination IPs of proxies and repositories involved in the process. Also, Veeam is already configured by default to use multiple TCP connections, you can tweak this in the traffic throttling menu.
I would consider a WAN accelerator (Riverbed, Bluecoat, SilverPeak) rather than a dual internet connection.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Pkaer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Pkaerlagad

Post by Pkaer »

Hi,

Thank you for your answer Luca.

My first Idea was to setup, on both sites, Multi-wan router (up to 4 lines) linked by an Ipsec VPN tunnel . It seems not to be a good idea and Luca told me to consider Wan accelerator.
Some of them are very expensive and I'm looking for cheaper solution. In a first time and to test it, do you think a virtual appliance like SilverPeak VX-X could help me or does Veeam Replication is already so optimized for Wan that I will not get performances I'm expecting for?

Pkaer
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Since it's free, it is worth a try!
It's not only about data compression, wan accelerator can also optimize data traffic by hashing tcp packets and transim hashes instead of full packets,obviously after having enough cache polupated at both sides. Also, they do work on "chatty" protocols like smb and other to reduce the amount of traffic crossing the wan link.
I do not have real number at hand with Riverbed, I'd like to start some serious tests with them but I need some spare time...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1