Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jjblaster
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeremy Scott

Failing to remove snapshots after Veeam 6.1 upgrade

Post by jjblaster »

We upgraded from Veeam 6.0 to 6.1U1 Build 6.1.0.205 2 weeks ago. Ever since we upgraded I have been having intermittent issues with remote offices failing to commit snapshots during the backup process which is causing the job to hangup waiting for the snapshot to be removed.

Anyone else having this issue?

I opened a ticket with support 00134421 but figured I would post to see if anyone else has ran into this.

I found the errors below in the logs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Failing to remove snapshots after Veeam 6.1 upgrade

Post by Gostev »

No, this is definitely not connected with the upgrade, but rather with some other change in your infrastructure.
Please do not post log snippets in this forum, as requested when you click New Topic. Support case ID is enough.
jjblaster
Influencer

Post by jjblaster »

The Veeam upgrade is the only change we have made. We have to submit RFCs for all changes in our organization and there has not been a change within our infrastructure before or after the upgrade. I double checked with the Senior VMware admin and again we have not made a single change other than the Veeam upgrade.

Please advise I had another issue this morning with a different location than the two locations I mentioned on the previous post. 2 of the VMware host are on 4.1 and the other is running 5.0.

I cannot pinpoint the cause of the problem.

Any help is appreciated thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jeremy, please continue investigating this issue with our support engineers, as it's hard to troubleshoot technical issues without reviewing full log files. On top of that, I would also take a look at VMware events as they might contain information that would help in the troubleshooting process.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

jjblaster wrote:The Veeam upgrade is the only change we have made. We have to submit RFCs for all changes in our organization and there has not been a change within our infrastructure before or after the upgrade. I double checked with the Senior VMware admin and again we have not made a single change other than the Veeam upgrade.
I never said this change was actively made by admins. Things change/brake by the same all the time (extra load, malfunctioning equipment, etc.)

All I am saying, this is definitely not connected to Veeam upgrade. Just trying to save you from wild goose chasing here. Our product does not perform actual snapshot removal processing, this is handled by VMware. All we do is issue a single vSphere API call (RemoveSnapshot), and this has not changed since version 1.0. If VMware started to take too much time processing this call as you say, there can be a lot of reasons for that I guess, but definitely not Veeam upgrade.
jjblaster
Influencer

Post by jjblaster »

Thanks Gostev,

I have been escalated to level 2 support because this issue does seem to be problem with the Veeam database according to the tech that reviewed my logs. We are going have a webex session in the morning to try and resolve this issue.