Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Design confirmation

Post by Rumple »

Current environment is 3 ESX hosts attached ISCSI to EQL SAN. ESX Hosts 1/2 also have local Disk for some non critical VM's
Currently I have 2 veeam virtual backup servers that run backup to a backup server in same site.

I am building out a DR environment and want to try not to kill my Production environment with Veeam replications happening during the day.
My Thought:
Put a backup server at production on a physical host so I can maximize CPU and network and setup ISCSI connectivity to the volumes
Setup a Backup Proxy VM that will be used for those vm's on the local disk so it can do hotadd functionality during backups.

DR side will be a Virtual Machine that writes to the backup Repository (which happens to be local storage on the esx server) but I am not that worried about performance on that side. Maybe run 2 servers just for giggles.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Design confirmation

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mark,

Your design looks good to me, but you do not need to put a dedicated backup server on a physical host, just deploy Veeam proxy server on this host and configure this proxy server to work in direct SAN mode.

Thank you.
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Post by Rumple »

So, B&R server is at DR (and acting as proxy if I want)
Production side, just configure the ISCSI access for the physical server and then make it a backup proxy.
I will also need to configure up a local repository on that physical server as well for metadata correct?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, metadata should be stored on the repository close to your source/replicated VMs.