Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JamesHorsfield
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Horsfield

Backup share running out of space

Post by JamesHorsfield »

Hi,

I've got 2 backup folders on the Veeam backup share one is linked to an old job which was deleted in the Veeam console but the files (vbk & vib) are still on the share, the other one is linked to the new backup job.

Both the old and the new jobs are set to 1 full backup and incremental backups.

The new Backup job will run out of space unless I move the old one off the share.

Can I copy the vbk & vib files for the old backup job off onto a separate share manually.. i.e. using windows and copy function or is there a way within Veeam to do this?

Also if you can copy them off manually can you copy them back and the restore of the vms if needed?

Thanks for your help.

James.
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Re: Backup share running out of space

Post by kjc3303 »

Hi James Yes you can move off with either Windows copy or a veeam copy job.
If you need them back put them back into the repository and rescan repository.

Kev
JamesHorsfield
Novice

Post by JamesHorsfield »

Hi Kev,

Thank you for the reply.. i'll start moving them :)

Regards,

James.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi James,

Yes, Kevin is correct. You can copy these files (VBK + VIB) manually via Windows copy functions, then either rescan the repository after placing these files back or just import these files to the backup console from the new place via import functionality (see User Guide, page 215). This will allow you to restore VMs from the backup files and free up some space on your existing backup share/repository.

Thanks!
kjc3303
Expert

Post by kjc3303 »

Your welcome :)

Is it not possible to make the storage you are moving the archive to a Veeam repository? that way it is always on hand and you can instant Recovery and FLR from it without having to wait for the files to copy back to your repository?

If so here is the procedure

- Remove from Backups (do NOT delete)
- Move the files to the new repository
- Right click the repository -> Rescan Repository
- Edit the Job -> Pick New Repository

EDIT

Or you could just import them as Vitaliy says :)
JamesHorsfield
Novice

Post by JamesHorsfield »

Hi,

Unfortunately not, I think I’m left with no other choice but to start removing from disk there isn’t space on the network or on a share for me to copy 2TB of data.
We have 9 days backups 1 full and 9 incrementals from the current set under Backups/Disk - this is the new one.
We have up to 25 restore points from the imported set Backups/Imported. - This is the old one and has not been used for over 9 days.

Is there a way to remove some of these restore points from teh imported set instead? i'm guessing that if the remove from disk action is used on my imported set that it will remove the vbk and vib files and also remove the imported entry from the veeam console? Would this also be the reccomended way of removing an old backup set?

Sorry for all the questions.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

James.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since you're using forward incremental backup mode, there is no easy way to remove part of the restore points as all of them depend on the parent VBK file the backup job created on the first run.

You have two options to proceed with:
1. manually remove VBK + dependent VIB files from the disk (the entire chain)
2. or manually delete the most recent VIBs files starting from the newest one. In this case you will be able to use the oldest restore points in case of disaster.
kjc3303
Expert

Post by kjc3303 »

Yes I would use the remove from disk option as it will remove DB entry's and backup files.(once you have copied the data off)
I don't think that there is a way of removing some of the restore points from the backup file as they are all required to perform incremental roll back.
JamesHorsfield
Novice

Post by JamesHorsfield »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Since you're using forward incremental backup mode, there is no easy way to remove part of the restore points as all of them depend on the parent VBK file the backup job created on the first run.

You have two options to proceed with:
1. manually remove VBK + dependent VIB files from the disk (the entire chain)
2. or manually delete the most recent VIBs files starting from the newest one. In this case you will be able to use the oldest restore points in case of disaster.

Thank you for this, I have manually started removing the vib files starting with the newest one. i'll keep removing a few a day to try and keep as much data as possible,

This is the clarification I needed.

Thanks again.

Regards,

James.
JamesHorsfield
Novice

Post by JamesHorsfield »

kjc3303 wrote:Yes I would use the remove from disk option as it will remove DB entry's and backup files.(once you have copied the data off)
I don't think that there is a way of removing some of the restore points from the backup file as they are all required to perform incremental roll back.
Once i've removed all the vib and the vbk files ill remove the imported disk.

Thanks for your help.

James.