Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jpeake
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times

6.5 Enterprise vs Standard - Exchange Explorer

Post by jpeake »

Sorry if this is already answered somewhere, I didn;'t see it in the forums.

The upcoming Exchange Explorer appears that it will be bundled with Standard edition. I am wondering if in my case I would be fine with buying Standard vs Enterprise.

My must have features are doing file level restores from backup images without needing to run a full restore (which I think is already included in Standard), and the ability to grab item level data from Exchange databases for restore.

The other Enterprise features such as replication are less of a concern to me.

Can I get away with Standard?

I have the 6.0 Standard vs Enterprise PDF, is there one for 6.5 yet?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: 6.5 Enterprise vs Standard - Exchange Explorer

Post by Gostev »

Exchange Explorer will be bundled with Standard Edition, however restoring items directly back to the original mailbox will be available in Enterprise Edition only (similarly to 1-Click FLR functionality).

Standard vs Enterprise PDF for 6.5 will remain the same as today, except of the above-mentioned feature.

Thanks!
jpeake
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times

Post by jpeake »

Does the file level restore work the same in Enterprise vs Standard? I have the Enterprise trial key now. I can click BACKUPS, choose a server, click GUEST FILES and the "Backup Browser" opens and allows me to explore the VM's file system and copy/paste files and folders. No need to restore/mount a backup.

I do this through the admin GUI, not the Enterprise Manager web UI (which I know is Enterprise license only)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

jpeake wrote:Does the file level restore work the same in Enterprise vs Standard? I have the Enterprise trial key now. I can click BACKUPS, choose a server, click GUEST FILES and the "Backup Browser" opens and allows me to explore the VM's file system and copy/paste files and folders. No need to restore/mount a backup.
Yes, restores from the main B&R user interface the same for both versions. All differences between versions are described in the mentioned doc.
jpeake wrote:I do this through the admin GUI, not the Enterprise Manager web UI (which I know is Enterprise license only)
Enterprise Manager is available in both editions, but Standard Edition does not have all the functionality.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

File level restores from web UI are designed to address a few needs:
- Be able to delegate restores to help desk (without giving them access to B&R console)
- Restore files securely (where restore operator cannot lookup the content of restored files)
- Restore files quickly by searching guest file system catalog (with dozens of restore points, hundreds of file servers and millions of file on each server it will take unreasonably long to find the required version of the file by just browsing each and every VM and restore point)

Obviously, for smaller environments with single admin and just a handful of VMs, this kind of functionality is not needed.