Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mgd5
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christer Sundqvist

Veeam 6.1 Expected backup Speed Hotadd

Post by mgd5 »

Hi

Today we have installed and configed our new Veeam backup. im a little worried over backup speeds that are slow?

Veeam is configuerd as an all virtual solution with 1 veeam backup server and two backup proxies, each server has 2vcpu and 4GB ram. Backup mode is Hotadd and for backup repositrory we have a physical linux server with san disk 1gigabit fc. The repository is to be moved to a DD670 in a few days.

I test ran a few backups and our backupspeed is never over 20mb/sec and it feels a little slow, or is it what to expect with current config/hardware ???

Btw Network failover is Disabled.

Regards mgd5
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam 6.1 Expected backup Speed Hotadd

Post by foggy »

Christer, please tell us the bottleneck stats for your jobs (available in the job properties window by right-clicking the job and selecting Statistics). Also, how is your repository configured (CIFS or Linux-based?)?
mgd5
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christer Sundqvist

Post by mgd5 »

Hi

This job onyl contain one server, Processing rate, 17 MB/sec. Bottleneck, source.

Processed 3.9GB Read 3.9GB Transferred 1,3 GB (3X)

The backup repository is a linux server.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Post by Gostev »

Source bottleneck means that your production VM storage cannot provide data to ESXi host any faster.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
How is your Veeam+vSphere network setup; are all your nics on the same switch, i;e the Management Network traffic of ESX and your production vLAN are same? or each network in Separate vLANs?

Does your Veeam Server on the same portgroup where your ESX Server Mgmt network is located?

Could you add more vCPU to the proxy servers? 2 vCPUs are very less to the proxy and it depends on the number of jobs that runs on this proxy.

thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Post by Gostev »

Actually, if proxy CPU was a problem, bottleneck analysis would point to "Proxy" instead of "Source".
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
My Source Bottleneck always 99 and sometime drops a little, but I'm getting around 60~80MB/s full and Incremental I reach 300~500MB.

And my Linux VMs around 40~61MB/s Full and the Incremental, it reaches up to 3GB/s.

It seems @mgd5 has a bit of networking issue.

Thanks,
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund »

Generally we always see much better performance from direct san access than hotadd.

Recently I was at a customer site where they never saw hotadd speeds over 50 MB/s read speed, but very often much lower. After setting up a old server as a physical proxy and giving it direct san access, suddenly we saw speeds ranging from 120-130 MB/s.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

rhaslund wrote:Generally we always see much better performance from direct san access than hotadd.

Recently I was at a customer site where they never saw hotadd speeds over 50 MB/s read speed, but very often much lower. After setting up a old server as a physical proxy and giving it direct san access, suddenly we saw speeds ranging from 120-130 MB/s.
I had a bad luck with Direct SAN since I'm in a pure Virtual Environment without. "Proxy VMs".. After changing from Direct SAN to HotAdd, the performance boomed.

Thanks,