Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jorgene
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Jorgen Eriksson

Mixing Backup Jobs against same sorce ?

Post by jorgene »

Hi,

I have a question regarding mixing multiple backup jobs against the same source.

Job 1#

Weekly Mån-Fri, Incremental, Enabled Synthetic Fulls (Forever-incremental) on Saturdays, Retention Policy 14 restore Points to keep on disk.
Destination: Backup Respository No1, Source 8Vm's

Job 2#

Weekly only on Saturdays, Reversed Incremental, Retention Policy 1 restore Point to keep on disk, Destination: Backup Respository No2, Source same 8VM's as in Job 1#.

Will those jobs interfere with eachother (ofcource i see to that they don't run at the same time)?

I primary wan't to make Job2# only for tape backup and archiving, since Job1# will hold to much data and it's troubblesome to select the latest .vbk file to get on tape without scripting, and i wan't as few instances as possible that can go wrong here.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Mixing Backup Jobs against same sorce ?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jorgen,

Yes, it's absolutely safe to target multiple backup/replication jobs to the same source VMs. Change block tracking mechanism (if this is what you're concerned about) will not be affected by this.

Thanks!
jorgene
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Jorgen Eriksson

Post by jorgene »

Ok!

Thx for a quick answer .. The Change block tracking mechanism is what i was concerned about, if it should mess it up.

A rather nice feature for the future developement would be to have an option in Synhetic-Full to make a copy of the current .vbk file to Another Backup Respository or specified path for archiving.
This would be nice for integrating with Tape backups for long term archiving.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for the feedback!