Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

How would you configure this?

Post by zoltank »

We have the good fortune of having an office in a building two doors up from our building. They're connected to our network via gigabit fiber. We took advantage of the situation by placing a cheap server in the office and copying the .VBK files from our Veeam backups to the server up the street every weekend. It's just an extra, cheap layer of disaster recovery for us.

However, our backups have gotten large enough where it's taking 1.5 days to finish copying. Since things will only get worse I figured the best solution would be backing up directly to the remote server every weekend using Veeam. I figure doing a standard incremental on the weekends and then doing a synthetic full sometime during the week.

If it were you, would you install Veeam directly on the remote server and have it handle it's own backups, or would you add it as a backup repository and use the existing Veeam server to push backups to it? It seems to me pushing backups to it with the existing Veeam server would increase network traffic, especially when it's doing the synthetic full.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How would you configure this?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you deploy a repository server on the remote site there won't be any traffic increase, as the rebuild traffic (synthetic full) will be kept locally. However, if you're going to use CIFS repository servers the traffic will go back and forth over the gigabit fiber connection between your two buildings.

That said, there is no difference in push/pull backup jobs in terms of performance rates, however if you happen to lose your primary site with the backup server, it would be better to have a standby server deployed on the DR location to perform quick recovery actions.

Hope this helps!
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

I would replicate the servers to the remote site. Run a replication job every night.
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Post by zoltank »

Vitaliy S. wrote:If you deploy a repository server on the remote site there won't be any traffic increase, as the rebuild traffic (synthetic full) will be kept locally. However, if you're going to use CIFS repository servers the traffic will go back and forth over the gigabit fiber connection between your two buildings.

That said, there is no difference in push/pull backup jobs in terms of performance rates, however if you happen to lose your primary site with the backup server, it would be better to have a standby server deployed on the DR location to perform quick recovery actions.

Hope this helps!
It does, thank you.

If I wanted to deploy a second Veeam server at the remote office (backing up the exact same ESX servers), is it possible to license it without having to install Veeam Enterprise Manager?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, if you're going to use the same source hosts, you can reuse your existing license key with the second backup server.