Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
daniel.Soares
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: daniel soares

compatibility veeam 5.0 / vsphere 5.0

Post by daniel.Soares »

Hello
I have a question of compatibility of veeam version with vsphere

we backed up with veeam version 5.0 VMs from vsphere 4.1 during one year and now this backup server is only here for restore (if needed)
we are using now a new B&R server 6.1 on our vmware infrastructure and we want to plan migration our vsphere 4.1 to vsphere 5.0
my first question is
will the veeam 5.0 B&R server be able to restore vm or vm files to the vsphere 5.0 architecture? (is veeam 5.0 compatible with vsphere 5.0?)

if the answer is no
is there a solution to migrate the 5.0 backups to the 6.1 version to be able to restore those backups to vsphere 5 ?

Regards

Daniel
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: compatibility veeam 5.0 / vsphere 5.0

Post by tsightler »

Veeam B&R 6.x can restore backup files from B&R 5.0 with no problem. There's really nothing special that needs to be done. If you need to restore from the older 5.x backup files you simply use the "Import" option to browse to them and import the old files into the 6.x instance. If you just want them sitting there, ready to be restored, you can create a repository for the 5.0 backup files and they'll show up as "Imported" in the GUI.
daniel.Soares
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: daniel soares

Re: compatibility veeam 5.0 / vsphere 5.0

Post by daniel.Soares »

thanks for your answer
as version 6.x allow cifs mount I will, at the same time, be able to delete the multiple vmdks we needed for the 5.0 version