Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

More Details Regarding VBR 6.5 Configuration Backup Option

Post by brupnick »

Good afternoon-

I was wondering if someone could provide some more details as to what exactly is backed up by the built in VBR 6.5 configuration backup utility. I ask because I had created a Powershell script to back up my VBR SQL database and noticed that the file resulting from the 6.5 utility is about 10 times smaller than the file created by my script. My guess is that a backup of the DB includes job history, stats, etc while the 6.5 utility is only backing up the configuration data - job settings, repositories, etc. If someone could clarify this for me, I would greatly appreciate it. In case it helps, here is the command that is being run by my script:

Code: Select all

SQLCMD -S [VBR SERVER NAME]\[VBR INSTANCE NAME]-E -Q "BACKUP DATABASE [VBR DATABASE NAME] TO DISK='\\[FQDN OF TARGET SERVER]\[BACKUP FOLDER NAME]\[VBR DATABASE NAME]_20121028_180017.bak' WITH FORMAT"
Thank you!
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Re: More Details Regarding VBR 6.5 Configuration Backup Opti

Post by habibalby »

hello, do u run this script inside the guest VM or inside a Prescript that will initiate the sql script to Backup SQL? if its a SQL server why don't you run The backup using VSS ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Brian, the list of all exported properties and configuration data is described in our User Guide (page 297), please check it out. Hope this helps!
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

Post by brupnick »

habibalby wrote:hello, do u run this script inside the guest VM or inside a Prescript that will initiate the sql script to Backup SQL? if its a SQL server why don't you run The backup using VSS ?
This is part of a larger Powershell script that I run on my VBR server. I do it this way so that the result is a single file that I can 1.) copy to a server that is backed up to tape and 2.) replicate to my DR site, which is where I would really need this backup. I am starting to do more with replication, so #2 might not be needed in the near future.
Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Brian, the list of all exported properties and configuration data is described in our User Guide (page 297), please check it out. Hope this helps!
Thanks Vitaliy! I'll definitely check this out.